Need motivational advice...

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Oct 29, 2013 1:48pm
via Android

I had been doing good when I first started working out but then lost the fire inside me because I wasn't sure whether all my hard work was paying off or not. My family does not like to have scales in the house so I was never able to see if I was losing weight or not. What other ways could I find motivation to keep going?

Image_thumb
954 Posts
Oct 29, 2013 2:03pm
via Android

Most ppl want to lose weight not because of the actual weight, but because of how they look or feel, right? 

Take pictures once a week, keep track of how your body looks.

Keep a log of your times/reps/weights/whatever, so you can see your progress. Even if your workout is simple, there's something important about having some kind of tracking sheet, maybe tacked on a wall somewhere. Make notes about how you were feeling. I do that for some of mine and even when I don't do more reps it's satisfying to keep the log and note "breathing easier this time" or whatever.

The scale can be misleading anyway, people fluctuate naturally but get all frustrated if they are weighing every day. Once a week is ok and even then one should work hard to not let that number become too important. If your goal is weightloss it is important to at least get an idea maybe once every month or two. (I worked out for 3 months w no weight change, it's important to see that and re-evaluate your methods) Go to a gym/doctor/school clinic/friends house for a weigh in?

Image_thumb
81 Posts
Oct 29, 2013 2:17pm
via Android

I personally think that not having a scale in the house is excellent. You don't need it. What you can do is purchase a tape measure from Walmart (the kind they use on fabric), for $1.50 and take measurements of your neck, waist, and hips once a week. Don't weigh yourself until after a month if you really want to see numbers. You don't have to buy one. Just walk into any gym and ask of you can borrow their scale, or step on one at Walmart. Lol They have a digital one outside out Kmart that you pay a quarter to use and is very accurate. So just find whatever is free or inexpensive. But I don't recommend stepping on scales when you're just starting out.

Also, use fitness apps like Runtastic to keep track of your progress. You need to know of you're making improvements or falling behind with fitness. I highly recommend MyFitnessPal as well. You don't need to track calories, but you do need it to track your sugar intake of you're trying to lose weight. It really puts things into perspective about your eating habits and choices.

Lastly, educate yourself about health. Be an active participant in your training. By creating account on here you've made the first step to finding the support you need to get moving. Keep it up! If you need an accountability buddy, you're sure to find one on here. Plenty of people willing to help and support you along your journey. Ultimately, your success will depend on YOU and how much you put into yourself. So don't give up!!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51