Max Bench press

4 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
83 Posts
Sep 29, 2014 8:31pm
via Android

Where should I be at on my bench press max. I'm 5ft 9in tall and weigh 190. I'm just wonderi NH what weight I should be at?

29 Sep
Average bench press for a male is their body weight. Females is 1/2 their body weight. For squats males should be 1.5 x body weight and females are their body weight. If you want to gage you upper and lower body strengths against recommended averages
30 Sep
Thanks for the advice. I'll let you guys know how I do.
Image_thumb
731 Posts
Sep 29, 2014 9:30pm
via iOS
Your bodyweight is always a good goal, but if you never benched before 60 pounds is not to bad :)
Image_thumb
21 Posts
Oct 1, 2014 6:14pm
via Android

Personally, forget body weight.  Forget height. Everyone is different. We all start somewhere and all max our bodies out somewhere different. I'm 5'8" but only weigh 155. I'm a small dude. My build isn't big. Gaining size isn't easy for me. But I still can push some decent weight. Bottom line is I don't believe in I'm built like this so I should only press this much. Even if you only press lighter weight aim for 10 good reps. The next weight you press aim for 10 and so on. You'll raise your bench quickly and don't be afraid to trick your body and add 5 pound discs and press that for a day. It'll feel heavier but you'll see only bigger plates. Trick your mind into thinking what you see and push hard.

Icon_missing_thumb
83 Posts
Oct 2, 2014 2:55pm
via Android

Thanks for the advice. Yeah currently I'm 5'9 190 and I'm currently r epping 5 sets of 2 at 285. I can do sets of ten at 225 now.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51