How to eat healthy on a college student budget?!....

5 posts | Original | Recent
1 Post
May 23, 2015 11:26pm
via Android

My eating habits are not terrible but they could be better but I have notice that some healthy alternatives are expensive. I'm looking for some ideas on healthy food choices that are reasonably affordable.

821 Posts
May 24, 2015 12:05am
via Android

Well, when on a budget. You should prioritize protein. On the cheap, beef is king. Canned tuna is a buck. I mean the term "health food" is very ambiguous if you ask me. Here's an article you can read.

24 May
Thanks for the help
24 May
No problem
7 Posts
May 24, 2015 6:34am
via iOS
Not fat Greek yogurt, fruit, and meat. That's basically all I eat!!
950 Posts
May 24, 2015 9:32am
via Android

Brown rice, beansĀ  (dried is cheapest)
Canned tuna & chicken
Flour is super cheap and you can make seitan, or wheat gluten protein, with just water and some seasoning. Look it up.
Eggs. (i used to fry up onions and whatever veggie i had and put that and fried eggs on top of some brown rice with a lil butter and seasoned salt for two meals a day)

3 Posts
May 24, 2015 11:58am
via Android

I think it's best to buy healthy foods with a good shelf life. It's great when your check doesn't stretch as far as you'd hope.

Frozen vegetables last longer and are sometimes cheaper than fresh vegetables. I like frozen mixed vegetables because of the taste and versatility.

Apples and citrus fruits are good too. They last a while and are fairly cheap.

I also buy basic wheat bread, pasta, and peanut butter.

Here are some of my favorite lists:

This is a basic list. It's the best list I've found, with over 80 foods.

Here's some more info about foods & shelf life

You should also check out a blog called Budget Bytes. It has a lot of great advice on how to make frugal meals. There is also a great variety of recipes that are easy to make.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51