Body shaming is pretty f@#ked up

10 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
38 Posts
Nov 6, 2015 9:09am
via Android

Are you using Skimble to conform with what society says is beautiful ?
For health?
Stress?
Something to prove ?

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Nov 6, 2015 9:16am
via Android

Hey,
If anything I think, one should be doing it for themselves. Being 32 I find it extremely important to be healthy and fit at the same time. Looking beautiful or sexy is something you do yourself.
Nicole

Image_thumb
35 Posts
Nov 6, 2015 10:53am
via Android

I do it for me.   I was fat, now I'm >50lb lighter and athletic.   I feel awesome.   I want others to experience this ...at 50 I can do anything I want now, anything 

07 Nov
That's really great the reward of feeling better than ever before
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Nov 6, 2015 1:32pm
via Android

Ha! Love this!
In a vain attempt to get The Wife to fancy me again.
Thanks for asking

Icon_missing_thumb
6 Posts
Nov 6, 2015 1:47pm
via Android

I love your incindiary title, attempting to rile people up. I am all for body shaming. Because it gets people to move their but and stop being so lazy

06 Nov
except for when it creates the mindset of "I can't" and "I'll never be as beautiful as..." or "I'll always be ugly". Then it has the *opposite* effect. There are way better methods of motivation out there.
06 Nov
I have no problem with body shaming be ca use those people are unhealthily fat and people around them always tip toe and say "oh you look fine" or "beautifully curvy" and silliness like that. No. You are fat and unhealthy. Do something and improve yourself.
07 Nov
Body shaming has repeatedly proven to actually do the opposite. It discourages people and they turn to their comforts, food or alcohol or video games, or whatever .. Body positive attitudes have shown to help overweight people, those that society usually shames the most, begin a healthier path.
07 Nov
Haha oh no... no intention to rile anyone up... but if it did... so be it. The pressure is simply out there to look a certain way , celebrities and models being prime example. Sad how much pressure the industry puts onto them too but it's one thing not sugar-coating the fact that some are leading unhealthy lifestyles that reflect physically but to degrade people's (especially women) worth because they don't fit the standard of what's sexy is just disgusting. And getting into young kids lives influencing them to eat less or obsess about body image when there are important...
10 Nov
Nobody (and no body) is perfect, and calling ppl out on their shortcomings rarely wins you Motivator of the Year honors, Chris. People do what they think works for them. It's only when They recognize a need to change - the belief that something else might work better - does it happen. Sure, some people are motivated by negativity, but that's not the norm. The world is harsh enough. Why contribute to the noise? Now drop and give us 20! lol
Icon_missing_thumb
6 Posts
Nov 6, 2015 4:36pm
via Android

Besides which..... who is saying anything about skimble and their ideas of beauty. Seems to me that they are using fit people to show how to do exercises. You read into it waaaaaay too much.

07 Nov
Just an idea :) a reality ... nothing targeted at skimble necessarily. Body shaming is everywhere. Should it be encouraged and why ?
07 Nov
I got you. Ask the opposite as well tho. Should we have fat acceptance?
08 Nov
If not , we should be shaming and intervening with other groups of people we believe are doing wrong to themselves like the smokers, drinkers, etc. What they do to themselves consciously without hurting anyone else is up to them really
08 Nov
I'd like to think we already have. I am in total support for smoking and Trans fat bans. People are too stupid to know what's good for them. These bans help them. Plus they are a burden on insurances and society. So it's in everyone's best interest to get fat people to be healthier, and to get smokers to quit
09 Nov
Yes I agree on that. It's Def affecting us all but like bullying...suicides result from low self esteem and more money is spent on people who's obesity is a result of disease like POD I think or thyroid issues.
Image_thumb
23 Posts
Nov 6, 2015 5:12pm
via Android

For health most importantly, everything else is an added benefit

Icon_missing_thumb
6 Posts
Nov 6, 2015 5:42pm
via Android

Most important reason! Looking good is just a nice benefit that comes from the difficult effort of working out.

Image_thumb
19 Posts
Nov 7, 2015 7:57am
via Android

After a few years exercising, I found here in Skimble a huuuuge lot of workouts in a lot of different forms, plus a pretty nice community.
I started it all for myself, to feel better when looking myself in a mirror.

Image_thumb
32 Posts
Jan 4, 2016 8:59pm
via Android

I'm doing it mostly for health but slightly to look better for society too.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51