Post Workout Fatigue?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
12 Posts
Dec 15, 2015 2:14am
via Android

Am I the only one that feels tired and exhausted 20 minutes after a workout?

Would love you know what other people think because I feel like this shouldn't be happening...

I just got home from the gym about half an hour ago and now I feel like going back to sleep lol (it's midday!)

15 Dec
Try increasing your potassium (bananas) & protein (tilapia, salmon, or tuna); those should give you extra energy...banana or apple before your workout & protein after. Let us know if that helps.
15 Dec
Imho it's totally normal: it means that you pushed hard and your energy depots are empty. Make sure to eat after your workouts to give your body the energy it needs.
15 Dec
Thanks guys! Any response will help in one way or another...I'm assuming it's my iron deficiency (which I've suffered from for the last 5 years) maybe I'm not eating enough of the right stuff...? Time to come down hard on my dietry intake...
15 Dec
True, an iron deficit, if so, makes you feel tired as well. Try incorporating chanterelles, egg yolk, pistachios, legumes or quinoa. Liver is the best (animal) supplier, but it's not everyone's favourite.
16 Dec
Seconding what Matthias says.:-)
Icon_missing_thumb
216 Posts
Dec 15, 2015 4:34am
via Android

It could be many things...

Are you getting 7 to 8 hrs of sleep?
Are you eating breakfast and dinner?
Are you eating a balanced diet? Getting your vitamins and minerals?

If it continues to be a problem, you should have your blood tested, maybe your not getting enough of a certain nutrient.

15 Dec
Very helpful! Thank you... I know that I do have an iron deficiency but I thought I could deal with that through my diet...? I have also recently started drinking protein shakes before I workout in hope that it would assist in raising my energy levels...
Icon_missing_thumb
216 Posts
Dec 15, 2015 11:02am
via Android

I've read that iron deficiency can affect your energy levels... you should look up foods that boost your iron absorbtion capabilities - but, I'm no Dr., so if the problem continues maybe you'll need an iron pill prescription

Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Dec 15, 2015 11:04pm
via Android

On the iron front - there are two forms of iron: haem iron (found in red meat and easily absorbed) & non-haem iron (found in green leafy vegetables and not easily absorbed). Non-haem iron absorption can be boosted by vitamin C - so drink some OJ with your green leafy veg.

One other thing to bear in mind is that your energy levels can be effected by your periods - on the week you're bleeding you can become slightly anaemic.

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Dec 17, 2015 5:06pm
via Android

Aside from the irom deficiency, dehydration can lead to exhaustion. A lot of people believe their water intake is adequate but when working out you must increase it. Personally when my water intake is low not only are my energy levels low but I can't lift efficiently either. Versus the times when I'm well hydrated I end up lifting more or doing more reps. I drink 1 gallon minimum throughout the day. Anyways hope this helps.

17 Dec
مرحبا
Image_thumb
59 Posts
Dec 23, 2015 11:27pm
via Android

Sleep, amount of water, & eating an adequate & timely snack could all be playing a part in this. I suggest playing around with the time you workout as well to see if that helps.

I am an early morning exerciser & find I need to get up an hour beforehand to let my food & hydration get in my system.

Hope this helps.

- Coach T

03 Feb
Hey you looks beautiful

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51