Bad lower back

8 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Nov 4, 2013 8:16pm
via Android

I'm 6ft 230 bit of a gut and apparently have a bad lower back as I have been diagnosed with acute lower lumbar shift. I was told lose weight and strengthen core. How can I accomplish this but not aggregate my back?

05 Nov
Ah, Eric. I had a similar problem after my c-section. My back would hurt after cleaning the tub. I weighed 210 and was depressed and out of shape. I first had to drop some weight before I could do anything related to my abs due to back pain. Then slowly started with lying on my back and with bent knees moving my legs instead of my upper torso. Once I strengthened that I could do crunches again but it was a long process. Lots of luck to you. I know you can do it!
05 Nov
Oops...forgot to add that I dropped the weight by walking and working up to 6 miles a day 5 days a week. Of course eating healthier helped too.
05 Nov
Doing the upward dog position in yoga has really helped my back. I have a bulging disc around L4. Doing 10 of those motions every 3 hours or so has been a life changer. Give it a try!
Image_thumb
953 Posts
Nov 5, 2013 2:37am
via Android

Losing weight is due to exercise but even more so due to healthy eating. Eat whole foods, not man made processed stuff, mostly veggies. I don't cook much but i eat as lot of chopped up veggies, easy quick not bad for taste (sometimes i sprinkle a little salt) steamed broccoli w a lil butter & salt

Fruit

Drink only water or unsweetened coffee tea

One or two small serving of whole grains (brown rice, oats...) Per day

I Snack on about 150 cals per day of nuts
Hard boiled egg
Tuna

A little Chicken, fish, occasional beef

You can keep track of calories using an app like myfitnesspal. It helps to have something you can keep track of rather than just hoping for results.

Strengthening core is probably the most important for health. For strengthening core, you can google core exercise for back pain, situps alternatives (situps can hurt your back so results will usu address this)

I do bicycle crunches, planks, theres this one i do just holding arms and legs straight up above kinda like a dog playing dead, hold that for a long time... there are many, but some core exercise are more likely to aggravate back pain, the ones i mentioned are often recommended for that but there are others

05 Nov
I have cheat days often (twice a week) I don't go way overboard but still I eat some junk... Still getting results though
260821_785876962_201028369_n_thumb
4 Posts
Nov 5, 2013 8:46pm

Patrick M. has some great advice Erik!  The fact you are on skimble must mean you are doing a workout of some sort.  Good for you!!

I have lower back issues myself and ignored them until one day a major back spasm brought me to my knees writhing in pain.  My Dr said the same thing...Strengthen your core.  I also consulted (researched and found) a really good Chiropractor.  One session did wonders for my weak back but each injury is different. 

Good luck and remember .... Listen to your body and LIFT WITH YOUR KNEES!!!!  

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Nov 29, 2013 5:03am
via iOS
I also have a bad lower back and was advised to work on my core. I also swim as it is low impact but also helps shed pounds. Yoga and pilates help with the core so i will go back to barre3 exercises.
Icon_missing_thumb
11 Posts
Nov 29, 2013 5:41am
via Android

Planks

Image_thumb
1 Post
Nov 30, 2013 6:50pm
via Android

Hi there,i had an injury few years back ..herniated diskS :L4-L5-S1
dr couldnt do anything invasive do they said to rest 24/7 several for weeks which itself brought wright gain,since then ,considering even sitting in a class or simple standing pose caused pain and severe leg numbness ,i was fraustrated!i couldnt do anything likr before!even prescribed sports like swimming was limited,UNTIL I HEARD ABOUT PILATES!
I googled it to see its compability with my injury ,it was kinda50-50 comments.
I hit the gym,and I was amazed by the fast recovery of my back pain and feeling the core muscles building up...i never imagined my self doin pushups again!
Ofcourse I talked to the trainer and some little adjusments were made for me,but it was amazingly awesome!

Image_thumb
136 Posts
Jan 16, 2014 3:13pm
via Android

Loose weaight is #1, also try light goodmornings....

Image_thumb
40 Posts
Jan 16, 2014 5:08pm
via iOS
My Back Is Messed Up! *E...do it everyday does wonders for releasing low back tension

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51