Question for those who lift weights

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Nov 9, 2013 11:12pm
via Android

So I'd like to start lifting weights and as I am putting together a schedule I am trying to figure out what muscle groups should I exercise together. Goal wise I would like to build strength and of course a little bit bigger muscles with definition would be nice but at the same time I want to remain feminine looking. So what do you guys do?

10 Nov
Rachel-i have a pic of my arms &belly to prove my work.i have 3kids btw. msg me &ill explain what my routine is like
10 Nov
Im not the best-im just like anyone here,i train hard &mean to be fit &stay healthy
05 Aug
There is a book called the great big book of workouts for women. I have the men's health version but there is one for women too. I go through there a lot, shows everything you need.
Icon_missing_thumb
30 Posts
Nov 9, 2013 11:23pm
via Android

Focus on reps vs. poundage for femme arms as an example lifting a 5lb dumbbell until you feel totally spent will tone you rather than bulk you up

09 Nov
Choosing muscle groups you need to consider your goals: upper body do chest back arm core lower do glute quads core
10 Nov
Lol i totally disagree
10 Nov
I also disagree.
10 Nov
I disagree..sorry, i go pretty heavy for my arms 20-30lb dumbells...&my arms in my opinion looks great. Going heavy will not BULK u
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Nov 10, 2013 12:28am
via Android

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome site! Thank you. This shall help me a lot.

10 Nov
Hope it's what you're looking for :-)
Icon_missing_thumb
111 Posts
Nov 10, 2013 12:53am
via Android

For muscle groups, I never exercise arms on the same day as chest and back or legs. I also study a calisthenic exercise and never weightlift a related muscle group right away. I sometimes have barbell only Power Day and likewise a bodyweight only endurance day.

Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Nov 10, 2013 4:16am
via Android

I really like the fighter diet approach. You can check out her website or het twitter/facebook account. Its a no nonsense approach which includes good normal food and heavy lifting. And as she is a woman its mostly focussed on other woman. Its worth to give a look.

10 Nov
Thanks. I will give it a look.
Icon_missing_thumb
30 Posts
Nov 10, 2013 4:57am
via Android

What's your theory? I'm working off basic anatomy principles higher load leads to bigger muscles

10 Nov
Correct but lower loads doesnt lead to a toned body.
Image_thumb
13 Posts
Nov 10, 2013 8:27am
via Android

I have found lifting heavy got me strong fast and I  am not bulky. I don't over think it. just do as heavy as you can without compromising form. Alternate days working large upper and lower body muscle groups. Do a full body work out one day. Focus more on areas you want to improve most. I find it is good to work the smaller muscle groups through Pilates and yoga exercises as well as doing weights with them

10 Nov
Agreed
26 Mar
Sorry I pressed the button by accident
Icon_missing_thumb
30 Posts
Nov 10, 2013 5:32pm
via Android

There are other factors true...but reps of smaller loads is a good start you can of course increase load and decrease reps when its no longer challenging but going too hard core will hypertrophy the muscles too much for a chick. That's my personal experience/opinion to each their own.

12 Nov
Well i dont think you hav many experience training with or training other woman. Since i have experienced total other results :-)
Image_thumb
481 Posts
Nov 16, 2013 7:56pm
via Android

I lov powerlifting as a girl my experience is ur body doesn't knw weather ur female or male train hard get results ...back and. Biceps...chest and tris together one trick i learned long ago is ur triceps will giv out before ur chest th more ur tris can handle th bigger bench ...legs with weights as well as plyometrics..and shoulders and abs ths is good body split...use light weights somedays moderate bout 8-10 reps to failure some days and heavy other days utilize training methods like drops sets strip sets and supersets...also focus on different types of strength not just limit strength..mix it up hav fun never do th same workout twice plenty of cardio and clean diet with good supplementation

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51