Marathon Training

4 posts | Original | Recent

1117674_1461911051_911930028_n_thumb
2 Posts
Apr 19, 2014 10:08pm
via Android

So I'm training for a marathon and was wondering if anyone has advice for me. I've heard many theories like run 10k 3-4 days then do a half and increase milage, do short miles weekdays then a long run, run everyday except one....etc etc but anyway I want advice from someone that's done one before or is also attempting one

Image_thumb
1 Post
Apr 21, 2014 10:05pm
via Android

I did my first marathon in October 2013. Started training in May 2013. Did 10km for 5 days a week (Mon -Fri) in the morning s then long runs on Saturdays  of 15 miles or more and rest on Sundays.  I had done 3 half marathons before I had decided to do the full so thats why I did 10km daily. If your a beginner then its best to work your way up. I also mixed it up with rowing 10km for endurance and cycling when muscles become sore.  Luckily I didnt get injured.  I did a half in September, a month before the full and managed a pb of 9 mins less and a sub 90 min time. The full didnt work out so well as I had cramp on the day so finished in 4+ hours. Am training for Berlin marathon in September so I will learn from my mistakes. All in all the whole training is part of the marathon experience,  not just the 26.2 miles on the day.

Image_thumb
14 Posts
May 14, 2014 4:20am
via Android

Go to Halhigdon.com I have run several including ultras and he has programs from beginner to advanced.Usually 4 months training for marathons providing you already can run 10 miles at a time

14 May
I did 2 long runs at the weekend, this gets the body used to working on tired legs, and then intervals once a week and one easy mid distance run. Use a program if you haven't done one before.
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jun 15, 2014 3:23pm
via Android

I did Hal Higdon for my first marathon and didn't like the program. I've created my own and getting much better results. I do second the idea of two long runs on the weekends. Sat a mid length, 8-10 miles and long on Sun (13+), very easy and short in Mom and rest Tue.

Do you have a goal time or just to finish?

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51