Injuries and setbacks.

16 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Oct 14, 2014 7:09pm
via Android

Hi this topic is just for general advice, support or discussion on injuries and recovery. Having any form of setback is in itself frustrating and support is one of the best way to get through....

I suffered a fibula head fracture and pcl tear in april. At the time I was a regular at the gym going 5 times a week. Now I'm back but when I was immobile I felt pretty depressed useless and bored not to mention all the gains I had made I could see wasting away

15 Oct
Really sorry to hear about your head fracture! But glad you are back at the gym! I'm feeling much like you were - I broke my ankle very badly 2 weeks ago, and also damages ligaments in the other foot. I spent a week in hospital and now am house bound. You feel pretty useless and depressed! I picked up my dumbells just now for the first time in two weeks as I couldn't sleep. It was great to read that I wasn't alone with the agitation and frustration. Glad you are back and training!
Image_thumb
13 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 5:51pm
via Android

Sorry to hear about your ankle Julia. Based on my experience I would advice against any weight bearing excercises just now. Especially so soon after having your injury. Before i was back to my regular gym routune (or there abouts) I was instructed by doctors to stay off it for at least a month, then a few weeks of strengthening and balancing excerices and cyclying before adding bodyweight excercises for a few weeks then gradually started to add weight training. Having been my knee joing that injured I was sceptical about bearing weight on it anyways.... obviously the ankle joint has different dynamics to the knee but it doesnt stop me from wondering is it wise for you to begin using weights again so soon..... I would suggest mobility and strengthening excercises if any

15 Oct
Hi I'm dealing with a hip labral tear. I need to have a second surgery to repair my hip but need a decent core workout and something that helps me strengthen my hip that doesn't cause more pain than I already have. There are days I can't even walk without excruciating pain so something I can do while down would really help. I do Crunches and leg lifts a lot but need more. Can someone help? Thanks!
Image_thumb
13 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 7:00pm
via Android

Marti: How long until your second surgery? If it isnt too long I would wait until after that as you will more than likely have to start from scratch again

16 Oct
I had to stop to im out with a blood clot 3/4 in my leg and in my arm. Not to mention i have a broken wrist and a sist under my knee. I will never be the same
Image_thumb
15 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 3:27am
via Android

I have a fused left ankle and have had my second rotator cuff repair inn April. Gall bladder removed 2 weeks ago. I have to have help getting started and keeping focused. Help!!!

Image_thumb
159 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 4:37am
via Android

I can understand. Im sorry about your accident and pray for your speedy recovery. I really wanted to be a yoga instructor too but realised I have slight scoliosis. And that keeps me from being very flexible.  I think there are days when you feel mad and think why me? But those feelings fade. And soon you pick yourself back together. I think even people with no problems have days when they feel like they can't do something and other days when they feel like they can kick ass.lol.
You look absolutely, incredibly fit though.

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Oct 17, 2014 10:54pm
via Android

Steven G Wow! U didnt happen to be in a car crash did you?

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Oct 17, 2014 10:55pm
via Android

Susan R What do you mean by "fused" in my head im thinking as in the bone has fused together?

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Oct 17, 2014 11:00pm
via Android

Pinky Thanks I dont feel 100% tho, that must be a real downer you condition stopping you from performing you desire to do. You are right about down days, we all need a little nudge from time to time to help push through it

18 Oct
Thanks Net :) Just have to remember that setbacks are also chances to pick yourself up back together and that's a chance to be a hero. I just watched this movie called 'Rush' based on the true story of F1 driver Nicky Lauda. You should watch it too :) Thanks for showing your support.
Image_thumb
15 Posts
Oct 17, 2014 11:17pm
via Android

I have had my bones fused with pins. I can send a pic if you like. I can't move my foot anymore so stepping stairs running are all impossible.

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Oct 17, 2014 11:49pm
via Android

Will that be a permanent thing, nor being able to do them?

Image_thumb
15 Posts
Oct 18, 2014 12:39am
via Android

Been 7 years since I broke it  it's permanent and I don't want to be another obese person with these being the reason I am.  The more I read what in writing you the more I look like I'm whining. But. I'm looking for something I can do to help get some of the pounds off and not aggravate the surgeries. You can only do sit ups do long and they don't help loose inches anymore. Looking for people to work out with me until they get to move on and help Keep me motivated to continue.

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Oct 18, 2014 10:46am
via Android

Susan R: cyclying would be the best place to start as you wont have any impact on your ankle and it will develop leg muscles as well as being good for cardio. I recommend if using a excercose bike starting at a low resistence for 10 minutes, do this 3-5 times for a few weeks then increase resistence accordingly to how you feel during. Body weight excercises are also a good thing to do when recovering from and injury. Leg raises are another alternative to crunches and I find them to have less strain on the neck muscles. Also diet is obviously the main factor. I have been raised on a no meat diet and have always been of a slim/slash atheltic build, my active lifestyle provided me with a natural 6 pack and slim waist. I can eat alot without worrying about my waist. I am not saying to try a no meat diet, I only say this to let you no what works for me.

Image_thumb
117 Posts
Oct 20, 2014 10:08pm
via Android

I've injured every part of my body atleast once....

here's what I've put together

leg injury - lay on floor lift both legs into air 2 inches and hold while you do some crunches. then when your sitting around take dumbbells and do some bicep curls or tricep extentions.

waist injury- dumbells for arms again.  do sitting leg lifts. tippy toes and tip toe squats (gently)

arm injury- you can do most ab exercises and any leg exercises that don't involve arm use

test gently don't work up a sweat

Image_thumb
15 Posts
Oct 20, 2014 10:12pm
via Android

Thanks all. I'll add a few very basic steps to my workouts and I'll be careful. Anyone want to do or know anyone who wants to start with me just reply  we can get moving a little at a time again!!!

10 Nov
I can join you. :-)
1329872_stock-photo-exercise-icon_thumb
41 Posts
Nov 10, 2014 4:57pm
via iOS
A very hurt right arm is my setback. A little more than a year ago It all started with having carpal tunnel issues, then tendonitis on both sides of my elbow and eventually my shoulder (rotator cuff) tendons. All three joints in my right arm ....yeah. Anyway, I wont let that be an obstacle to reach my fitness goals. I have to consiously look for workouts that exclude the use of arms for support or carry any weight. Sometimes that search is time consuming, So I try to focus on the workouts that I found already. 
10 Nov
yeesh I bet that hurt
10 Nov
but good luck
Image_thumb
15 Posts
Nov 10, 2014 6:40pm
via Android

My workouts aren't putting but I am doing them at least 3 times a week to start. The weather I'd reeking havoc with me so I have to wait till I don't hurt to bad. I may even get to add a day this week one I get use to the colder weather. :-)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51