Unfit and want to burn fat any advice for a beginner

8 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 11:19am
via iOS
Hi

I am really unfit, overweight and struggle doing some of the excercises. I do want all this to change and wondered if I'm best persisting with workouts that I am struggling with or is there something I should do first. I want to burn the fat I have and tone up my body along with getting fit and healthy.

Just want some advice please, also when's the best time to do a workout? Thank you
19 Mar
The first step is admitting that change needs to happen. Second step is deciding you want to change and making a plan for success. You have done both. Keep a positive attitude. Be patient with yourself. Because there will be days that you want to quit, workouts are harder than ever before, your results are not what you think/want them to be etc. Remember this is a process. It took some time, years to develop unhealthy habits. It will time to break those habits. However, with tenacity, determination and motivation, YOU WILL be SUCCESSFUL. Keep a positive attitude. Surround yourself...
Image_thumb
52 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 12:08pm
via Android

When doing a workout routine,  do the best you can. As time goes on,  the exercises will become easier to you,  and you will be able to do them with better form.  Look for workouts that have Casual on them.  Congratulations on starting on your path to better health.

19 Mar
Thank you.
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 12:18pm
via Android

You should struggle because otherwise nothing's happening, but as a beginner I feel you should have to struggle only to a certain extent. If it's too much of a struggle there's a higher risk you give up.

Start on the casual level and with shorter workouts. Concentrate on form rather than reps. Modify the exercises you can't perform, but try every time to see if today's the day you make it. Suggestions: elbow and/or kneeling planks instead of full planks, kneeling push-ups instead of regular push-ups, taking a few seconds of rest if needed and then going at it again. Still, you will need to keep pushing yourself, so rather try a full plank and then go down on your knees if you need to, instead of not trying at all. As you feel yourself getting stronger, step it up a notch. Both cardio and weight training burns calories and it's recommended to mix the two. Remember you CAN NOT spot reduce, so doing crunches just to get rid of belly fat will get you nowhere. Work on your whole body instead of concentrating on certain parts. If some part of your body is weaker, you can focus a bit extra on it.

The best time to work out is the time you do it! Some people say in the mornings on an empty stomach will burn more fat, others say that it's not true. The important thing is you do it, not when.

Good luck!

19 Mar
Thanks
19 Mar
You're welcome!
10592681_10152519488617339_1659590334237299413_n_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 1:06pm
via iOS
The other response is right, struggling is good as long as you're not hurting yourself, if your workout is easy then you won't see results.

If you're looking to tone and build muscle the best way is alternating longer, slow days of cardio with high intensity intervals. Anything you enjoy for cardio works with this, also make sure you're lifting and/or doing body weight exercises 3x a week to build muscle. Follow a balanced diet and you will definitely see results with this formula.
19 Mar
Thank you
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 1:27pm

Hi Sharon, I can't reply to your message unless you follow me. It's because your account is set to private.

19 Mar
And apparently I can't delete this post from my computer either. Accidentally replied instead of commenting.
Image_thumb
52 Posts
Mar 19, 2015 10:21pm
via Android

Anna,  hi again.  I've followed you.  Don't know why it reset. If you follow me back (I keep my group small on purpose), then you can reply directly via message. This gets around the issue of making a profile public.

20 Mar
Thanks, I'll reply later on today!
Image_thumb
13 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 12:17am
via Android

Be patient, keep working even if your not trying your hardest , there will be a day you will want to challenge your self , and from there you get into the exercises.

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 20, 2015 10:18am
via iOS
:( Aching today didn't think I had worked that hard  #nopainnogain
20 Mar
Hey that should be a happy smiley! Being sore after working out should make you proud of the hard work and dedication you put in yesterday! Not being sore calls for a sad smiley. :)
20 Mar
Thanks never thought of it like that :)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51