Stationary Bike vs. Treadmill

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Dec 2, 2015 8:52pm
via Android

I work out 3-5 times a week. I mainly do free weights and ab routines. Unfortunately, my results have suffered because I rarely do cardio. I'm seeking any input regarding bikes and treadmills: preference, results, recovery time, etc.

03 Dec
I get way to bored on the stationary bike. So it's definitely a treadmill for me. You'll get more results from a treadmill. If you can take it to an actual track.
04 Dec
I am interested in what you mean by results? Does that mean you are not able to add more lbs to your lifts?
05 Dec
The lazy person inside of me prefers the bike because it gives me more control over the pace and I get to sit while getting a workout. On the other hand, my time is limited so I don't want to waste it on a bike if there's a big difference in the results I could get if I jumped on the treadmill instead. I'm locked in now though. Ordered a bike a couple of days ago.
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Dec 4, 2015 11:55pm
via Android

@Ryno 2: I'm speaking of results primarily in terms of getting leaner (and building my cardio). My body responds well to free weights but I'm trying to get away from the bulky look. 

05 Dec
Ok. I realized after I posted that's probably what you meant. Personally I think running would burn more calories in a shorter time frame. Or doing thing that max out your endurance such as kettlebell workouts. Where there are zero rest periods but you are using a resistance and more explosive movements. Also doing cardio or endurance stuff in a fasted state really worked for me to lean out quickly
05 Dec
Tabata style Kettlebell swings should burn a lot of cals. I was saying the track just because I fell I can run for longer periods of time being outdoors. Idk just me maybe. But I like that I can run explosively instead having to adjust treadmill settings. Something to think about
05 Dec
I agree Jovon. Running outside much more enjoyable than inside and more challenging although I honestly have never used a treadmill but have used ellipticals and stat bikes.
11949259_10152959803361020_1453497927270048437_n_thumb
1 Post
Dec 5, 2015 4:16am
via Android

I have bad knees so I prefer to do the stationary bike. I also take 20 pound weights and do curls as I am riding a long.  You can mix it up by doing different types of arm exercises.  In addition, to knock out the boredom, I pedal backwards.  It takes time to get used to, but it gets easier.  I switch off every 5 minutes.  Believe me, you'll not think of boredom.  Best of luck.

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Dec 14, 2015 9:29pm

I personally prefer a bike to a treadmill as I find it easier to do (treadmill walking always feels awkward to me somehow) and it's easier on the knees. Stave off boredom by varying your speed and resistance - I think there are even a few Skimble workouts designed for biking, that tell you to bike hard, then slow down, then go hard again, etc. Arm exercises are good too as others suggested. I also like reading or watching tv as I ride, and/or listening to music or an audio book.

I think I also prefer a bike over a treadmill because - I can walk anywhere. If I want to go for a walk, I can go outside, or to the mall if the weather's bad. I don't really need equipment for it. It's a bit more challenging for runners but there are always options. On the other hand, if I want to ride a bike, I need to have a bike. They're not just there in the natural environment. So if I were making a choice of a purchase, that would lean towards the bike.

Pmc3_thumb
11 Posts
Dec 15, 2015 2:26pm
via Android

I am a long time treadmill runner. I have tried the stationary bike but my back eventually hurts. If you're not big into running, you can do quick HIIT workouts on the treadmill and get big results that way. I've created some HIIT workouts for the treadmill based on some workouts I've "borrowed" from the pros. Also, benefit of the treadmill is the famous "runner's high" ... : )

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51