Woman 46.AM I WASTING MY TIME

23 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
35 Posts
Aug 18, 2013 7:44pm
via Android

I just read on WebMD that a woman my age isn't likely to build muscle or tighten up much bc of hormone issues low estrogen and such. I have no insurance to check it BUT I sure am discouraged!!! Ugh.

24 Feb
The only one that knows you is you, and the only way to know is to try for yourself. Try it for a month, start out with moderate to low exercises so you dont burnout to soon. I discovered martial arts 3 years ago at the age of 44, and dont regret it for one minute.
26 Feb
My mom is 54 and was told she had diabetes a few years back. She was over 200 pounds. 2 years ago she started walking and eating right. She feels great and has a lot more energy. Plus she was told she does not have diabetes anymore and does not have to take meds. She even sleeps better. It is never too late. I promise that you will feel amazing for taking control of your body. Do not let it control you.
26 Feb
Plus I know a woman in her 50's who just a year ago became a body builder. She never had muscle before that. Just have a mindset going in of what you want.
Icon_missing_thumb
50 Posts
Aug 18, 2013 8:01pm
via iOS
WebMD ...should be WebBS. It's never too late for anyone. Hell, there are senior body building competitions out there. If we focused on peak hormone levels, and peak estrogen and testosterone levels, then we ALL should've given up after 19 lol. Don't be discouraged! The best time to make your life better is right now!
Image_thumb
144 Posts
Aug 18, 2013 8:44pm
via iOS
Yes you are waisting time by not working out and being healthy  lol . Age is never a limit . Good luck!
Image_thumb
35 Posts
Aug 18, 2013 9:51pm
via Android

Thanks guys. Everything is so focused on the younger women. A woman my age doesn't need anymore bad news. I've TRIED to stay in shape through life's trials. I think it's time to reignite my passion for my old dancer's body. I HOPE!!!

18 Aug
You got this Sherri!! Have fun with it. Do it in ways that u enjoy!! I applaud u for gettin back to it!!!
23 Aug
Sherri, thank you for sharing!! I was a dancer too, just turned 40 and I see my body has changed. Less muscles and much harder to loode weight.... BUT, I know wee can do this!!! ;)
Image_thumb
35 Posts
Aug 18, 2013 10:01pm
via Android

THANKS FOR RESPONDING I haven't been on here much. I am so overwhelmed at times with my disabled son's needs and how that impacts my other son I put my needs last. Everyone else bailed so it's a lot to handle. NOT playing the pity card, just being real. And life is all too real.

20 Aug
Hey! I'm 44 and after a health scare started training and eating healthy. I am now more toned, healthier and happier than I was in my 30's. it takes time though! You have to persevere .... Every day a little more and a little harder! Stuff the hormones and age! We can be hot in our 50's too!!!!
Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 18, 2013 10:11pm
via Android

Well my wife is 49 - she works out three times a week and looks as good as she did 24 years ago when we got married.  She also fits it into a busy job and looking after 2 teenage girls.  I know your situation is different with your disabled son but look at what exercise you can fit into your routine,  even if it is only ten minutes.  Don't forget that your son will benefit as well if you are fit, strong and healthy, so don't think that you're not considering his welfare first.

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Aug 18, 2013 11:41pm
via Android

Hush! My mum was 48 when she started exercising. She lost 30lbs and got *ripped* just finished her 5th marathon ... At 53th. Our bodies are amazing and capable of so many things! Keep at it lady! And don't forget: no matter what the scale says you are beautiful!

20 Aug
Start each workout, do what you can, each daily effort gets you better, and and more fit to do more. Just promise to do this for yourself "try everyday" Its all progress, no matter how much you can do. Some is always better, than none. Go get em girl!
Icon_missing_thumb
111 Posts
Aug 18, 2013 11:58pm
via Android

Hey! Go check out the"anybody over 35" thread with Lisa C.
Sounds like you're wasting time by reading WebMD.
Good luck.

Image_thumb
389 Posts
Aug 19, 2013 12:10am
via iOS
I've seen and known women in their 50, 60, and 70's who are in fitness competitions and body building shows. Is possible to build, just might take us a little longer. :) 

Weight training is great for your bone health also...:) 

Like John S said, come join our over 35 group :) 
Image_thumb
202 Posts
Aug 19, 2013 12:11am
via Android

Hello sheree ,reading your situation you have a hard time you made the first big step by coming back to exercise again, in wanting to make things better. you can do it.Is a matter  of mind over matter, mind over body, your mind telling your body that you will get better, you will get stronger, you will lose any weight you need to. as john said below, there are lots and lots of people over 35, over 40 , even over 50 , on this website . they are all support each other   encourage each other, helping each other, and we can help you too. all the best. remember you are beautiful and God bless you

Image_thumb
66 Posts
Aug 19, 2013 9:13pm
via Android

A bad workout is no workout at all

Image_thumb
34 Posts
Aug 20, 2013 12:38am
via iOS
I' m 44 and in better shape than I was 20 year ago. Do it one day at the time... There's tones of 10 to 15 minutes workout you can do... And who doesn't have 15 minutes a day? You can do it :-)
Image_thumb
122 Posts
Aug 20, 2013 1:55am
via Android

No ur not

Image_thumb
566 Posts
Aug 20, 2013 2:10am
via iOS
Don't let that define your goals. Those studies may say a lot but it doesn't mean it's right as they keep changing. 

I feel like being fit is all about respecting your body and taking care of it. I know I'm never gonna be a skinny model lol but i do know I'm gonna remain active to feel better and be healthy!!
Image_thumb
37 Posts
Aug 20, 2013 3:54am
via iOS
Sherri, don't be discouraged.  There are only benefits to be gained by your determination to lead a healthier, more fit life.  Do not let age be a factor -I tell myself all the time. I will be 47 at the end of this month and I have never been more fit.  You can do it!
187380_100000502511345_1472106873_n_thumb
1 Post
Aug 20, 2013 4:00am
via iOS
Hi I have been just walking like 3 times a week for 5 months now, well my belly fat is going away.  Just to let you know do one exercise tomorrow and then the next day and do that for a month.  Just start out slow and give yourself a day off too.  Believe in yourself and if you need a cheering friend I am here
186380_589036063_8249726_n_thumb
19 Posts
Aug 20, 2013 8:05am
via Android

There is an overwhelming amount of research that shows that both physical and cognitive exercise at any time of life can provide significant benefits both in short and long term. Never too late to start, and never stop exercising or learning.

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Feb 22, 2015 1:59pm
via iOS
Hi Sherri! Sometimes we should listen to our body's clues instead of doctors or statistics. I decided to have my second baby 20 years after having my fist one. You can imagine the doctors reactions... You are old(40). I know my age, but I was healthy. To the doctor's  surprise my pregnancy was normal. Today my son is 8. A happy and healthy boy. I am healthy preparing my body for the future. Age is just a number .  Take care of yourself  and good luck.
Image_thumb
56 Posts
Feb 24, 2015 11:56am
via Android

Sherri some of the people I admire most are over 50 and marathon runbers in thier 60s, 70s  and 80s, not to mention body builders!  It's never too late to start.   Begin where you are slowly.   Do yoga to restore your hormones,  begin with light weights for your brain, heart and building growth hormone, eat real food.  You have your whole life to get stronger and stronger.    You can have an inbalance with hormones at any age and there are ways to help your body restore it's life essences.   That's what they are...life essences.   Often depleted by lack of exersise,  stress and poor nutrition.  Wish you health and happiness. Maria

15 Apr
Hey Sherri getting in on the conversation chic,life is to short to waste time stressing girl.I am almost 45,and only recently started to really take care of myself.Doctors just want their meds to sell..exercise is the way girl,you can't go wrong chic.I wish you all the best..praying for you to..don't give up.
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Feb 26, 2016 5:16am
via Android

Word

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Feb 26, 2016 5:51am
via Android

Do what makes you happy and make your own truth. Don't take another's word for it....prove it to yourself.

Image_thumb
258 Posts
Feb 26, 2016 3:05pm
via Android

I've heard its harder but never impossible! In the end don't give up exercise even without toning up reduces many health risks! Keep it up!

Image_thumb
39 Posts
Aug 22, 2016 3:28am
via Android

That's BS! It all depends on you. I'm 44 and although I don't have 6 pack abs I am considerably firmer than I was 5 years ago. Will you have to work harder than a 20 year old? Yes; but it's not unattainable.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51