Losing weight seems impossible.

17 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
12 Posts
Jul 30, 2014 3:17pm
via Android

I'm 40 years I train 4 times a week doing weights and sometimes cardio for an hour. A normal diet would grant me about 3000 calories a day to eat. I kept a log of everything I ate last month and averaged on 1789 calories a day. I eat healthy stuff mostly proteins and veggies. I am not loosing weight :-( Does anyone have any idea on how this is possible?

30 Jul
I could be wrong but it sounds to me like you are eating too many calories. I do about an hour of exercise a day and eat 1200 cals.
30 Jul
As you are a man you probably need about 2000 cals a day.
31 Jul
If you eat you calories matching your weight maybe that could work
31 Jul
Make sure you eat throughout the day. ..6 meals is the way forward...it stops your body going into starvation mode and storing fat and allows your body to risk loosing some of that stored fat energy...trycgoing lower to 1500 for a couple of weeks invase you hit a plateu
15 Aug
Hahah right im sick off it :(
Image_thumb
14 Posts
Jul 30, 2014 3:23pm
via iOS
You could be losing body fat and gaining muscle. Which most of the time you'll put on weight, a better indication is your belt. Is it a little lose compared to before?
Image_thumb
12 Posts
Jul 30, 2014 3:45pm
via Android

You got me thinking there Peter. I've been losing weight when I started. But now I'm not overweight anymore. So you're probably (and I really hope you are) right. I should be getting a tape measure to monitor my progress instead of a scale. Thanks!

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jul 30, 2014 7:26pm
via Android

Do buy yourself a tape measure. For awhile I thought nothing was happening for me also but once i purchased a tape measure I noticed the inches were disappearing. Keep up the cardio and maintaining a healthy diet along with some weight training and eventually the weight will follow the inches.

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jul 30, 2014 8:41pm
via Android

I'm so fat so can you help me out

Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jul 30, 2014 8:54pm
via Android

IM the same im 21 and my weight 92kg thats really disapointed for to left my body gain all this fats

Image_thumb
12 Posts
Jul 31, 2014 9:10am
via Android

Well for me losing weight started with learning what I was eating. On my smartphone I first started with weight watchers (you'll need to pay for that) monitoring every bite I took. After that I got the Spark People app It does the same and is free to use. After a while you will see some surprising figures like a mac flurry containing about twice the amount of calories as normal ice cream :-). You will notice differences in food vs energy as well. You will feel more energized eating one over the other. Now when you know what you eat you can Slowly drop the number of calories. I wouldn't try the stuff you see on TV they got professional help guiding them every step of the way. Just chip of 3 to 500 calories get used to the new number and do it again if needed.
Let me know how you're doing.

Image_thumb
26 Posts
Jul 31, 2014 9:28am
via Android

Maybe try balancing ur calorie intake steadily during the day. If u eat less during the morning and more in the evening dut may be counter productive towards ur weight loss goals

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Jul 31, 2014 9:51am
via Android

All the fellow skimblers are probably right. I think your calorie intake is a little on the high side. And also you could've gained muscle in place of your fats.

My opinion is since you're at 40 and in reasonably good shape, your BMR is low. This is normal. Overweight and young people have higher BMR. So they burn more calories throughout the day.
And I think you're striking an almost perfect balance. You're burning the calories that you're taking in. In other words you're not creating a deficit. Your body gets all the energy from the healthy food you eat so your body doesn't need to burn your fat reserves.
I suggest medium intensity cardio on an empty stomach in the morning. Your body will have used up most of your dinner while your were asleep and it'll have no choice but to reach for your fast reserves for energy. Remember to drink water.

Hope this helps :)

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jul 31, 2014 11:14am
via Android

Why would you want to loose weight? I am 235 pounds now but have a very low fat percentage. Weight means nothing. Try to lose body fat ot get more fit instead? I have run into so many "thin" people who are in the worst shape of their lives. The sooner we all stop obsessing about weight, the more we can focus on being healthy.

31 Jul
You drove home the point there
31 Jul
This was a very true point.
Image_thumb
12 Posts
Jul 31, 2014 11:33am
via Android

OK so taking in all the advice. This is what I am going to do. I got myself a six week program containing compound muscle building exercises which includes a food program. After that I plan on going high rep HIT training. I'll train in the morning and use bcaa to stop muscle breakdown. I hope to break the ceiling with that.
I will also try to find some information on how to calculate my body fat. (I know my scales are way off :-) )
At this point I won't be lowering my calorie intake since I need at least this amount to give me energy though out the day.

300x300_thumb
168 Posts
Aug 1, 2014 7:31am
via Android

You're not losing weight because you're lifting weights. Tah dah. Thank me later.

10403093_824149534270890_6673272389594166994_n_thumb
5 Posts
Aug 1, 2014 12:19pm
via Android

I lose 50 pound  and  I star  work  out  in  the  FIT  camp  contact  my  and  I can  give  you  same  IDEAS  to  lose  weight  easy  delicious  and  fun  6234981735 :-D

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Aug 15, 2014 10:51am
via iOS
As others have mentioned... Do be careful not to cut your calories by more than 500 a day. If you're supposed to eat 3000 a day and cut it down to 1800, that's way too much of a shock to your body. It will do whatever it can to hold on to those calories.  At most, cut calorie intake by no more than 500 a day, then burn up to 500 more through exercise. It might sound crazy because essentially, you're still cutting 1000 calories total, but that extra calorie burn via exercise is essential.
Image_thumb
18 Posts
Dec 12, 2015 9:24am
via Android

As I have just learnt the scale doesn't tell the whole story. Sometime you're loosing fat but you're gaining muscle.
It is suggested you weigh once a week on the same day at the same time
When you wake but before breakfast. If you tend to eat more over the weekend weigh on Friday cause Monday you're gonna be heavier.
Also keep track of you size wit a measuring tape. Neck chest back biceps forearm waist hip thigh calf

Image_thumb
954 Posts
Dec 12, 2015 2:01pm
via Android

Starvation mode is a fitness myth and if your goal is weight loss you really should be able to lose more than is possible to gain in muscle for a week.

You're under estimating your intake or over estimating your expenditure, or both.

Do u use myfitnesspal or any calorie tracker?

If you've input the correct personal info, are following the numbers, and still not achieving your target loss rate, then try things like halving the exercise calories you enter, or cutting your personal info daily activity level down a notch like from 'light' to 'sedentary.'

The reasons here are that the calculations we use to find your maintenance level of calories are quite generalized. Depending on what you eat, food numbers you input could be hundreds of cals off from actual values.  Actual calories burned in physical activity is very difficult to correctly estimate for each individual. There are so many places for calorie tracking to accrue margins of error that if you're not getting expected results you just have to kind of manually correct for that until you start to see the results.

12 Dec
Dangit Kwame what are you doing resurrecting a year and a half old thread???
12088002_10207455122632207_6697243605404790028_n_thumb
1 Post
Dec 12, 2015 11:30pm
via Android

I've been using the free workouts. Pretty good so far. I don't always follow the video as I look to see what the workout is and often do more reps or sets. I did two videos today and I was actually whooped after lol

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51