Oldies

20 posts | Original | Recent

Sep 7, 2013 6:01pm
via Android

Are there any older people on here? Or is everyone young? It is harder to loose weight and get fit when you are older. Any advice?

16 Nov
Thanks for your post I am 52 53 now I think of it but need the encouragement to get back 2 A regular routine that I had in my 30s but which was you regular and decreased in my forties I want my fit healthy life back & I believe
16 Nov
Fight like a girl song is a motivator for me I grew up with 5 older brothers and no sisters so I had to participate in there games to have fun I value the strong body God gave me and I want to continue 2 stay physical. and optimize my physicalabilities
16 Nov
It is encouraging to see women posting as I am often alone in the weight area of my fitness center . I have had to cognitively battle discouraging self talk about being overweight & old so to work on my goals when very fit strong young men and fit older guys who "belong" are most prevalent. My mantra needs to b " keep at it" & " fight like A girl" as I swipe that nasty little demon off my shoulder.
23 Apr
Funny,I talked to lady on the phone one day,she said she was living her second childhood at 50. That struck a chord with me,so I'm living my 2nd childhood at five zero something road, care to join me? Besides what does a 20 year old really know?! Think an out it. As for me I've lost 20 lbs,hasn't been easy but nothing in life really worth anything ever is,or is it?
21 May
Hi I'm on here and I will be 53 next month! As long as we feel young and don't have any serious health issues we can get in some really good workouts
Image_thumb
35 Posts
Sep 7, 2013 9:05pm
via Android

What age range do you refer as you say 'older'?

07 Sep
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Sep 7, 2013 9:24pm
via iOS
I know what you mean! I am only in my thirties and the Skimble community makes ME feel old!

I think that since Skimble is not a weight loss or healthy eating app but really more of a workout app, it is kind of normal that an overwhelming majority of its users are quite young. As one gets older, one focuses more on eating well and moderate activities like walking than on working out, which might explain why there are apparently few "older" people here.

However, I daresay there are more "older" people here than it seems, it's just that they are not as active in the forum, and they tend to post pictures of themselves where they either look younger or where their age cannot be guessed (or they just don't post any pictures of themselves and instead post pictures of the devil disguised as cheese ). Thus, I am sure that many of the people here who come off as young to you are not that young.

I think the right way to go about this is to realize that most of the people who are into working out are young, and to accept that. They might not always be able to relate to what you are going through, but they are smarter than they seem, and they are supportive. Don't be afraid to befriend users half your age, they might be better friends than you think. And while you may be uncomfortable with not being of their age, they might be uncomfortable with not being as good looking or as slim as other users. We all have our insecurities, and it is no different for young people.

Besides, being one of the few "older" people here makes you special in a very positive way, while the energy and enthusiasm of younger people might be a great source of motivation to you.

Don't limit yourself to your own age group. You would be missing out on sound advice, support and motivation.
Image_thumb
202 Posts
Sep 7, 2013 11:11pm
via Android

Hi there, there are indeed a lot of very active members of Skimble inthe over 40 bracket, and even in over 50' s. The main reason you don't see them so often in the general forums is that most of those topics are kids trying to hookup, to be told they're beautiful or handsome or got enough abs, after being kiked or instagrammed or fb'd, or wanting to be motivated. There is a very active thread on the forums called Anyone 35 yrs or older??? It is always active, so you should be able to find it easy. There are tons of a active  folk on there, heaps in their 40's or 50's. Get amongst it. Enjoy.

08 Sep
Thank you
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 10, 2013 7:57pm

Yes, ther are over 50 people here.  I am 57 and use these workouts when I am short on time.  They are great.

Image_thumb
94 Posts
Sep 10, 2013 11:47pm
via Android

I am older :-) 38!  Welcome! We are here!

Icon_missing_thumb
112 Posts
Nov 6, 2013 4:15pm
via Android

Im in my fifties.Dolng the 10k challenge for about month and 1/2.

06 Nov
Going on 78. Workout and do Zumba 4 days a week. My high school weight. 135. Male. So we are here. Welcome.
15 Dec
Awesome!!!!!
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Dec 14, 2013 5:46pm

I'm 53 and my goal is to live a healtier lifestyle so I try to workout every day at least a little bit.  To help me stay motivated, I started taking Tae Kwon Do and working to earn my black belt.  I don't expect to look like the 20-something gym rats. :-)

Image_thumb
481 Posts
Dec 15, 2013 2:27am
via Android

53 Ain't old ...I'm around people n their 80 s 90s and 100s wat I've learned is u may hav some obstacles younger people dnt hav YET...such as old "Auther" coming for a vist..or other little thts life problems tht come with growing older but u also hav more wisdom and experience..and wat I've learned with being around older people is whn they make up their mind u can't stop thm!! I've watched a little old woman n her 80s who had a stroke and cudnt walk bedridden for little over a year cuz one of her legs jus wudnt work been n rehab to no prevail one day sh looked at me and said I'm getting out of here Im going to walk few months later sh went home and is still doing good...ur age ain't a factor tht makes defeat its a point tht adds up to success

Image_thumb
46 Posts
Dec 22, 2013 3:25am
via Android

Older than some,  younger than others. 

I sure do feel it more than I used too some days. After more than a year of Tae Kwon Do, I haven't lost much weight but I'm in much better shape. 

Merry Christmas!

02 Aug
That's awesome Richard!
02 Aug
Thanks! I'm now up to my Brown belt and have actually list about 15 lbs. Off to practice forms now! :-)
02 Aug
Very inspiring!
1086367_724216227_814797543_n_thumb
1 Post
Dec 26, 2013 9:04am
via iOS
Hello all in my later 50s had RNY surgery 12/31/12. Almost a year out lost 70 lbs so far but have gained 15 back. Trying to learn to exercise so I can continue my loss need to lose 50 more. Hoping this app will help because I need serious support. Hope there are others out there that can relate
Thank you
Ole hippie gal
Image_thumb
72 Posts
May 21, 2014 9:57pm
via iOS
Hi I will be. 53 next month, and i feel like this as long as we can do then let's get our workouts on!!
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jun 9, 2014 2:57am
via Android

I am 61 and I wouldn't worry too much on the age gap. Just continue to do your 'at least 3 times a week' exercise. At our age, streching exercise is good and hence try to include yoga in your weekly routine. I alternate yoga, cardio and strength exercises in my weekly routine.

Wp_20140904_005_thumb
8 Posts
Nov 10, 2014 6:47pm
I'm 50 & I've been recovering from a few surgeries. Most recent rotator cuff repair. My second and the primary arm. my left ankle had been rebuilt and fused and is Turing to the outside now. I'm trying a few of the casual workout options and am having a positive schedule helps. I would love to have a few friends for motivation as well. I've been in a group on here and realized today they were all in their 30s. Lol.
Wp_20140904_005_thumb
8 Posts
Nov 10, 2014 6:53pm
I'm 50 & I've been recovering from a few surgeries. Most recent rotator cuff repair. My second and the primary arm. my left ankle had been rebuilt and fused and is Turing to the outside now. I'm trying a few of the casual workout options and am having a positive schedule helps. I would love to have a few friends for motivation as well. I've been in a group on here and realized today they were all in their 30s. Lol.
Image_thumb
38 Posts
Nov 10, 2014 7:06pm
via Android

I'm 61 & lost most my weight on my own before I found this app. It's harder now but it can be done. Glad to see other older adults.

Wp_20140904_005_thumb
8 Posts
Nov 11, 2014 4:11am
Thanks everyone!! Choose my workouts my body can do at this point check. Sweet my calender for the sessions. Check. Adding an extra day. Going to try and add a Saturday to make 4 days this week!! Body aches or not,I can do this!!! :-)
Wp_20140904_005_thumb
8 Posts
Nov 11, 2014 4:13am
Changed my picture as well. That was me in September. The car definitely made the gal but I'm planning on changing that one. Grins.
10517486_10203381367527412_8004196584016461009_n_thumb
2 Posts
Jan 7, 2015 6:48am

Hello, I am just getting ready to start a weight loss and exceresize program. I am 56 with spinal stenosis , had neck surgery and have fibro. I am a stubborn old mule though! I am determined I will get fit and healthy.

07 Jan
Good for you! Glad you're determined to get healthy. My wife has fibromyalgia as well. She started the Whole30 diet and it reduced her pain. She also lost weight although that's not the main goal off the program.
10517486_10203381367527412_8004196584016461009_n_thumb
2 Posts
Jan 18, 2015 7:01pm

Thank you so much Richard!!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51