Pumping Iron After 50 and Beyond

1 post | Original | Recent

Barbell_overhead_press_thumb
12 Posts
Jul 1, 2017 9:30pm

Hello Nifty 50 Skimble Members:

I thought I would share with you some insight of lifting weights after 50. I get questions often form clients and members who are little older about weight training. Some are afraid to try it because they think they will get an injury or simply don't think they can lift weights. Some things that I would like to point out to help those that want to try using weights to think of before they start.

1. Get a check up with your Dr. before starting a program, if you have medical restrictions make sure you are working with a professional who is trained to work with that in conjuction with your Dr.

2. Start light ! If you have not exercised in a while start with very light weight, you will be amazed how little weight it takes to tone and build muscle when added to movements.

3. Get on a program and seek the advice of a Trainer who can help can prescribe proper exercises to get the best results.

4. Rest and recover, this is so very important when we use weights we must get plenty of recovery time and understand when to start again. Periodized training can help develop strength and recapture your physique and make you look and feel wonderful.

5. Plan your exercise in advance. I give this advice to all my clients we need to plan our exercise and program it into your lifestyle. Spontaneous unplanned workouts are not advised, be in condition and ready to train in both mind and body. 

Ask questions and research when you are training, just like on here in this forum, we are always learning new things.

Keep a journal of your exercises and keep some equipment at your home that is compact; like a set of light dumbells and bands so you never skip a workout due to not being able to make it out of the house or lack of time.

Make time in your day for for walking at least half an hour to an hour a day. Cardiovascular health is just as important as muscle strength and balance.

Matt Miller IFA Personal Trainer

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,220 topics, 38,285 posts

Motivation & Support

8,521 topics, 41,754 posts

App Updates

15 topics, 45 posts

Ask the Pros

719 topics, 1,828 posts