How to build muscle and gain fat?

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 21, 2013 8:22am
via Android

I am 25 and currently underweight and skinny. I need to gain weight and build muscle. Is there a home workout that I can do to achieve good results or should I join gym?

Image_thumb
954 Posts
Dec 21, 2013 9:28am
via Android

At this point, joining a gym may help as far as getting you motivated and involved, but bodyweight exercises at home are pretty good for a beginner building muscle, if you can find the motivation to stick with them. Pushups, dips, pullups, squats, lunges, all core exercises, and more. Keep a log of your exercises, sets, and reps.

Increase the calories you eat, add more protein to build that muscle. After a certain point in your progress, you may decide to take things further by going to the gym, or you may just find that you aren't sticking to a plan at home, and the gym offers that environment you need to get focused and motivated.

Good luck.

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 21, 2013 2:07pm
via Android

Cool. Thanks a lot. Really appreciate your reply. Also I wanted to know that I already have protein intake in my diet ( eggs, banana, milk and sometimes chicken) but so far haven't seen any progress. Should I purchase a protein supplement?

21 Dec
You could purchase a healthy meal replacement . drinking 3 healthy meal replacements along with meals will help you gain weight . I am on that same journey. I add protein drink mix for added protein and take aminogen and cell activator. I also purchased beverage drink mix it is koolaod flavored drink that almost taste like jello and provides protein with a fruity taste drink that with meals. So far ive gained 2lbs of lean muscle its been 1 month I only do squats anduse 10 lb weights . oh all of my stuff is from Herbalife . its...
21 Dec
Lol I suggest NOT buying from herbalife. Melissa you sound like a salesperson cuz it's a 99% chance that you ARE. Promoting your products here is against the forum guidelines.
Image_thumb
954 Posts
Dec 21, 2013 3:07pm

I always suggest tracking your food for a little while before investing in a protein supplement. using an app like myfitnesspal, and trying to be as accurate as possible (make sure th foods you are entering have nutritional info included, some only have calories)

this way, you can have an idea of how much protein you are currently gettiing, and make some choices with better info. In the meantime, you can change your diet to include some more protein, and eventually perhaps you will find it useful and practical to get a supplement. I eventually did. I was getting a little sick of all that chicken I was eating, so now I've got three different kinds of protein supplements for variety.

Many people who workout trying to actively build muscle say to try and get about 1 gram of protein per pound that you weigh (so if you weigh 180 pounds, try to eat 180 grams of protein per day) 

I went into myfitnesspal settings on the PC (this wont work on the app) and changed my nutritional goals to be 30% protein, 30 fat, and 40 carbs. This is a common alternative to the default recommendation and a little more in line with an active lifestyle of exercise and healthful eating. This still only sets me up for 150 grams of protein per day, but I don't mind as I am not really bodybuilding or anything, just exercising.

21 Dec
I apologize I didnt read the rules but I am no salesman just telling my experience . sorry tho
Image_thumb
47 Posts
Dec 21, 2013 4:38pm
via Android

Eat above maintenance, lift heavy. The gym will expand the amount of equipment available to you which is a huge advantage in my opinion.

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 21, 2013 7:41pm
via Android

Cool thanks Mellisa. I'll read more about them :)

22 Dec
Be sure to google "herbalife scam" while you're at it.
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 21, 2013 7:50pm
via Android

@Patrick: yeah started logging my food in myfitnesspal. Really impressed by the app. Its really good. Yeah I've started to look into foods with more protein intake so as to keep up with the daily requirement of protein. I think I need to increase my activity level as I have a desk job, so I end up sitting most of the day.

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 21, 2013 7:55pm
via Android

@Johnathan: Cool, thanks:)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51