Can you build muscle with five pound weights?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
392 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 2:27pm
via Android

^?

26 Jan
26 Jan
Yes, any movement will cause micro tears in the muscle, as the muscle repairs and heals the muscle tissue is rebuilt. Adding 5 pounds will cause more micro tears and thus more muscle healing and building. The problem arises if you are looking to build muscle in large muscles like the glutes, chest, last, and legs. These large muscle groups are used to higher force loads as you perform daily activity and the corresponding micro tears to the muscle will be minimal and not much muscle development will be seen, unless you are doing thousands of 5 pound leg curls,...
Image_thumb
45 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 2:53pm
via Android

Yes. I've been using five pound weights (and even some 2.5lb ones for certain movements) and I've definitely seen my definition and mass improve. If five pounds is easy, up the weight a tiny bit to continue seeing progress.

Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 3:44pm
via Android

No. And i will explain.

A 5 pound dumbell wont be enough to test the big muscle groups. For those your own bodyweight would be a lot better resistance weight than a 5 pound dumble. And i believe the big musclegroups are the one you should focus on. A 5 pound dumble can probably be used to build muscle but it should be one of the tools in your arsenal.

Image_thumb
85 Posts
Jan 26, 2014 5:58pm
via Android

I was told a woman shouldn't lift to much weights. I wouldn't want to be a big muscular woman. We just want definition. And a five pund weight is perfect for that.

26 Jan
I dont agree with this. Low resistancr doesnt mean creating good defination
26 Jan
I too agree, low weights does not mean definition, unless it is of high enough reps, but even with that the amount of time to do so would be a while. The whole"women shouldn't lift heavy weights because they will become too muscular and manish" is a myth. That look has been shown to be related to genetics or synthetic enhancements. You should lift a weight that you can handle safely and perform the exercise correctly, weather that be 5 to 500 pounds. Either way it should be based on your own personal goal of developing strength , power, hypertrophy...
26 Jan
Well I would want to go more than 10 pound dumbells. I do give right now and I got muscle and definition. It worked for me.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51