Light weights are they beneficial?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
46 Posts
Apr 27, 2014 5:43pm
via iOS
I'm just wondering guys n girls if I could get away with lifting lighter weights but adding more reps & still notice the benefits of gaining strength & toning?

Reason I ask is that I suffer from fibromyalgia which is widespread muscle pain. Plus I haven't lifted for years due to this condition, so I'm basically a newbie again. I've tried lifting heavy but it causes to much pain, the lighter the better for me at the minute.
27 Apr
What about body weight variations ? Push up. chair dips pull ups
28 Apr
Would you be able to do calasthenic (body weight) exercise? (Press ups, sit ups for example). They're great.
Image_thumb
46 Posts
Apr 28, 2014 1:00pm
via iOS
Press ups causes me a lot of pain, I think a part of it plays to be slightly over weight. I can manage a woman's style press up, where u use you knees. I can do sit ups, there not to bad. Chin ups is a no no! :/
28 Apr
Maybe Swimming casual walks
Image_thumb
1022 Posts
Apr 28, 2014 1:18pm
via Android

Offcourse its beneficial vs doin nothing. You wont get the results as when you would be able to go full out. Specially strenght and power wise. But putting ur muscle under tension and letting them work will give results ofc. It will just be a little harder to work your main muscle groups. But i think you should be glad with everything you can do and go with some try and error till you found ur limitations and try to do the best with what you can with them.

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Apr 28, 2014 2:33pm
via Android

Whatever you can manage will always be a good thing. Dont think of any exercise as "womans" or "mans" think of it as doing everything you are able to do to the level which you can do it at. Just because its where you start doesnt mean its where youll stay. Ive always focused on light/more reps and body weight lifting personally and surprise plenty of people with the strength i have gained from just that

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51