Exercising with sore muscles?

11 posts | Original | Recent

Head_thumb
24 Posts
Sep 2, 2014 5:19pm
via Android

Is it alright to exercise when your muscles are still sore from a previous workout?

I'm brand new here, but not to getting fit in general. Strength training, though, has always been my achilles heel, so a workout I did two days ago still has my thighs sore(feeling it when I walk, basically), and some very minimal soreness in the upper arms, too.

Want to do my first app workout tonight! Wondering if it's safe to do more strength training at this point or if I'd be better off with some light cardio or stretching things out a bit with some yoga.

02 Sep
Would love to know the answer also
02 Sep
Magnesium helps with the sore muscles. I usually take some Natural Calm (ck it out on Amazon) & I find that I'm not really sore as often. Helps w/stress & sleep, too.
02 Sep
Thanks for the replies, but it's not the soreness that I'm concerned with, really. It's not excessive. I can feel the muscles, but it's not like I'm in agony or anything. It's just normal sort of sore. I certainly wouldn't be able to work those particular muscles at the same level today as I did Sunday, but if anything it's a minor nuisance. I'm just wondering if it's safe to work those sore muscle groups before the soreness fades, or if I should focus on different, not Full Body routines and skip the squats and push ups until thosr particular...
02 Sep
Ahh. Got it. Then Danger D is right; if it's 'OMG! THIS HURTS LIKE THE DICKENS!', then that's an injury & you need to stop & maybe get med attn. If it's, 'oh, this hurts & I don't think I can do anymore, but it's not kill me now pain', then that's good pain. :) That's just your muscles tearing & healing, which is normal. It's pretty much just listening to your body & letting it decide. I try to do different exercises so that I don't completely fatigue any one muscle set. My brother tends to focus on a...
Image_thumb
10 Posts
Sep 2, 2014 9:49pm
via Android

If u would like faster recovery, have a higher intake of protein. When u begin work outs ur body needs to adjust. Keep working out..

-Danger Dunn

Head_thumb
24 Posts
Sep 2, 2014 10:49pm
Well yeah, keep working out, obviously. I'm not so much concerned about soreness. It's a minor nuisance, really, and not excessive. I'm just wondering if it's safe to work sore muscles, or if I should lay off the legs until the soreness fades and focus on other muscle groups.
02 Sep
Decide whether or not its a pain or an injury. Pain= I can push through Injury= pushing will only make me worse. Pain is weakness leaving the body. My life moto
Head_thumb
24 Posts
Sep 3, 2014 1:14am

Thanks for the info. It's definitely no injury. I do know what workout injuries feel like (spent my teens and 20s in karate 4-5 days a week. I have had my fair share of 'ow, I did that wrong!').

In the end I decided on a core routine (my god, I am a complete wimp...it's completley unfair that 100+ lbs ago I was better at all of this stuff! lol).  My core is in even worse shape than my sore legs, anyway. 

Feeling a bit pathetic now, but good about working to be less pathetic. :)

09 Sep
Avoid exercising when your muscles are sore..give them time to heal or it will have negative impact in them..give your muscles a proper rest..:-) :-) ..they need rest to grow..:-) :-) ..
09 Sep
10 Sep
Good luck
Image_thumb
29 Posts
Sep 8, 2014 11:52pm
via Android

Exercising puts micro tears in your muscles,  the soreness is inflammation as they heal and rebuild. Often a lack of protein will cause the soreness period to last longer as someone said. It's not beneficial to work out with sore muscles, they aren't properly healed. It is a way to hinder progress, and a common mistake. Ask long time body builders, or athletes, proper rest and nor over training is extremely important.

08 Sep
Thanks. I ended up doing core instead of legs the next day anyway. Have not had the soreness since, so I guess it was just my body going 'hey wait, what happened to cardio? We're used to that!' Lol
Image_thumb
29 Posts
Sep 8, 2014 11:56pm
via Android

Good choice, there's plenty of other muscle groups you can focus on in the meantime!

Image_thumb
41 Posts
Sep 9, 2014 12:51am
via Android

If your sore and you keep up the good work you wont feel them in a couple of days just think of it as no pain no gain...

10373839_10201217895364492_3677994526123123924_n_thumb
1 Post
Sep 9, 2014 2:35am
via Android

Stretching the muscles you plan to work on, before the workout, and then after the workout, will help lessen the soreness. I usually stretch after each set (instead of resting) the muscles I just worked, and it helps not to get stiff after a tough workout. I also spend about 20 -30 minutes after workout stretching all muscles worked - to prevent post-workout soreness. If I still end up sore because i tried something new or pushed too hard, i just do static and stretching for a couple of days until i am no longer sore.

Image_thumb
74 Posts
Sep 10, 2014 6:40pm
via Android

Soak nightly in a magnesium sulphate Epson salt bath. Work another muscle group or just do some light cardio and easy stuff. Not taking a day off, but not going hard at it. And use recovery drinks like the G2 one and keep hydrated. Hope this helps

369606_500270370_361685389_n_thumb
3 Posts
Sep 11, 2014 12:28am
via Android

What I do is stretch my sore muscles instead of working them. Then work them again when they are not sore anymore. That way they fully heal and keep building safely and happy flexible.

Image_thumb
117 Posts
Sep 12, 2014 8:25pm
via Android

look at it this way do the workout if it hurts and makes you wanna scream or yell in pain STOP if not then push through the soreness and aches.

I do this everyday but I always push past my limits but I get results.

just remember that old saying if your friend jumped off a bridge would you do it.

do what feels right for your body do not push past your bodies limits and your body will tell you it's limit.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51