Rest time during reps

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
255 Posts
Oct 30, 2014 6:35am
via Android

Hi!
I was wondering how many seconds of rrst i should use between 2 reps.
I want to gain muscle and the most of the time i can read everywhere that rest is important but there is never written how long it should takes.

Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Oct 30, 2014 6:55am
via iOS
Basic principle I use is the heavier the weight/lower the reps, the longer the rest. For example, some of my workouts are 6 rep/max weight so I'll rest for 2mins. 10-15 reps is 90secs.
30 Oct
Thanks Scotty! I really begin to be hard for me because i used 14kg dumbells but only have 10 secondes of rest between reps! So the first rep is ok the second i do 1 reps less and for the 4 reps i only do 6... and i was wondering if that was the reason i didn't gain more muscle.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Oct 30, 2014 7:35pm
via iOS
10 second rests? Jeez! That would be for fatigue sets with me. Most weight programs to build muscle mass involve heavy ass weight & reps between 6-10 with rests of at least 90 seconds/3 minutes depending on how good your muscle endurance is. I'm working on 90 second rests again now I've finished my shred program with reps of 8
30 Oct
I really begin to understand why i felt so bad now :-) Ok i will change my session. Thanks!
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Oct 30, 2014 7:59pm
via iOS
Here's a little excerpt from a muscle & fitness site I sometimes refer to........

It's well known that training in the 8-12 rep range is great for adding inches to muscle bellies but if you want to be able to lift more at those ranges, then you need to get stronger. And to get stronger, you need to train with more weight and fewer reps. Numerous studies support the idea that training with repetitions in the 2-6 range best develops muscle strength. This rep range best produces changes in both the muscle fibers and the nervous system that promote strength gains.

Certain training techniques can help you get stronger faster. But one particular technique stands alone for its ability to help you grow. Finnish researchers studied 16 male athletes after a standard leg workout (four sets of leg presses, two sets of squats and two sets of leg extensions, all for 12 reps taken to failure with two minutes of rest between sets) or a forced-rep leg workout (same exercises, sets and reps as in the standard leg workout, but with 15% heavier weight so athletes would have to rely on assistance from a spotter to complete all 12 reps). The forced-rep program resulted in slightly higher testosterone levels and much higher GH levels. Another study reported that athletes who used forced-rep training lost more bodyfat than those who stopped at failure.

Personally, I've found that a workout program that involves a week or two on low reps/heavy weight then switching to lighter weight/higher reps works best for me. Now if I could only give up beer I'd be set for life!!!! Lol 

30 Oct
Great. You really help me a lot
Oct 30, 2014 8:39pm
via Android

Basically they last between 15 to 60 seconds. But then again it depends on the intensity of the work out. A workout should always be done until there is a change but not pain.

30 Oct
Thanks!
30 Oct
You're welcome
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Oct 30, 2014 9:34pm
via Android

When I go heavy I rest 60 - 90 secs.  That's the status quo. Drop sets and supersets take no rest. Live by the clock die by the clock.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51