Pyramid training??

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
73 Posts
Dec 18, 2014 9:22pm
via Android

Anyone heard of pyramid training? Im talking about reps on a light weight, counting like this...1, 1 2, 1 2 3, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4 5, 1 2 3 4 5 6, and so on and so on until you get to 10. The idea is to come back down but with muscle fatigue this may not be possible. The idea is to burn out your muscle.

A friend suggested this to me in my gym yesterday. I dont have any fat on my arms or legs. She thinks this would be great for me to build my muscle, rather than going in soooo heavy all the time.

And to be honest i do lift heavy but not seeing massive results yet.....also the next day my legs dont feel that achy, like ive really burned out the muscles although im going as heavy as i possibly can. Any comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

19 Dec
I've never tried it, sounds good though, I will give it a go. Cheers for the tip! :-)
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Dec 18, 2014 9:28pm
via iOS

Along with enhancing your size and strength gains, pyramid training can also assist in the development of greater endurance, and is ideal for beginners who want to gauge their progress gradually.

In addition, by starting off with a light weight (within the pyramid training system); it allows your joints to warm up so your body will be better prepared for the eventual heavier lifts. Another benefit with pyramid training is that it creates an intense routine as the muscles become overloaded.   

I've enjoyed doing workouts like this and the burn is really intense. My only advice would be don't start too low, you should be hitting complete fatigue, and don't keep burning out week after week. Switch to a heavy weight week, a deload week (lighter weight), pyramid training, different reps/different rest periods etc to keep your body guessing 

Drop-setting is also a good workout system and a variation of pyramid sets 

18 Dec
Thanks Scotty. Whats the other technique you suggested?
18 Dec
Drop setting?
18 Dec
Drop setting is when you start with a high weight (8-10 reps) and strip off 10-30% weight when you hit fatigue, then you can strip weight again until you're burnt out. It's more of an advanced workout system than pyramids and is popular with bodybuilders coz it recruits more muscle fibres for growth than just doing standard sets. I've done a workout program using drop sets and tend to use them as a finisher exercise nowadays. I get bored easy though so I like to mix up my workouts once a month
18 Dec
Love me some drop sets
19 Dec
Suppose its just about finding what works well for the individual. Im definitely going to give it a go. My problem is being inpatient and thinking 'this aint working, or i must be doing something wrong'. Anyways thanks for the advice. Seems theres no end to different ways of doing everything!
Image_thumb
139 Posts
Dec 19, 2014 12:56am
via Android

True muscle growth and development takes time, so be patient.  With ideal conditions(protein intake and weight training) it still takes 8-12 weeks for a muscle to grow and develop.  Although you may see an increase in the amount of weight you can lift in a shorter amount of time it is not due to the muscle it is due to the neurological connection between the muscle and brain, where receptors recruit more of the muscle fibers allowing the muscle to function more efficiently and with more power.
And as far as pyramid programs go, they are a nice change to a program and if done to fatigue it can be an intense workout and you'd be surprised how quickly the muscle will fatigue even with small weights.  If you have someone else to workout with you can do a partner pyramid to fatigue, as competition can be an intense motivator(such as get a straight bar, do 1 curl and then pass to your partner, the do 1 pass it back and the you do 2 etc until one of you fails, then say the losser does 10 jumping jacks and do this for all exercises.

21 Dec
Thats a fun way to do it!
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Dec 19, 2014 8:09pm
via Android

I've been training my chest and biceps like this. I can vouch for the burn you will feel. Give it a go kimmy!

19 Dec
Bonjour
21 Dec
I did this burn out type training on my arms last night, wow i felt it!
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Dec 19, 2014 8:25pm
via Android

Rfr to uvfvrdrdrydd ec ecrfyn .l uhh. G er

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51