New to lifting?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
54 Posts
Jan 12, 2015 3:31pm
via Android

I just recently decided to start weight training I want to get fit and build lean muscle? I currently do 30 min intensive cardio and 30 min on weights. I'm not really sure where to start or if there is any rules I should follow advice needed?!?

Icon_missing_thumb
9 Posts
Jan 12, 2015 3:34pm
via Android

Remember diet is as important as working out. High protein to build muscle, cut down on fats so the muscles can't hide! I would suggest splitting up your cardio and lifting days though. One hour work out lifting, then do one hour cardio following day. This gives your muscles time to recover. Learn your own body as everyone will give you different advice because everyone's body works differently

12 Jan
When working with the weights do I need to concentrate on one specific part or can I do the whole body workout
Icon_missing_thumb
9 Posts
Jan 12, 2015 4:01pm
via Android

Some people like to separate body parts into two groups, then work them on alternating days. This way you can lift every day. If you are doing cardio every second day I would suggest a total body work out as your muscles are getting rest on your cardio days. Don't forget a rest day once a week where you relax!

Image_thumb
1654 Posts
Jan 12, 2015 5:01pm
via iOS
Hi Nikki, the amount of cardio you NEED to do depends on your body type. I've been experimenting with this over the last 3-4 months using various workout programs.
My first thought when I saw your workout breakdown is that you're doing too much cardio, as you'll also be burning calories when weight lifting now also. 
For example, I do 30-45mins weight lifting then only 8-10 minutes intense cardio. On my active rest days I do 30mins steady state cardio (walking, light cycling or elliptical). 
If you want to see some workout examples you can check these workouts in my created:
There's 5 workouts and they are tri-set (3 body parts) most days with HIIT at the end. This program is designed to help you build a lean body which is why the rests are so short
12 Jan
The fun thing about working out though is that you get to experiment to see why works for you. Diet is the most important though
12 Jan
K awesome thanks I am 5'3 and 130 trying to get down to 120 then build up muscle I'll definitely check it out
12 Jan
You're welcome. It's just something to give you an idea and the workouts helped me lose 17lbs in December whilst maintaining muscle. They weren't just thrown together they were properly researched and tested. As you go through each week of working out you can add a further 8min HIIT workout to the end of the workout to avoid your body hitting any plateaus. Do whatever you feel works for you but don't fall into the trap of thinking more cardio equals more weight lost. Getting the balance is important. Have fun lifting, you'll never look back when you get into...
Grayshirtface_thumb
96 Posts
Jan 12, 2015 5:23pm

Nikki, congratulations on deciding to add some strength training to your workouts. I highly recommend that you follow a structured lifting regime. Starting Strength or StrongLifts are great programs for beginners. Scotty gave you some good information about finding what works best for you.

Just remember this simple fact: losing weight is about burning more calories than you eat. OR eating less calories than you burn. Either way, make sure you have your nutrition in order or else it won't matter how much cardio you do, you won't lose weight.

And when you reach your goal weight (because I'm 100% confident that you WILL), you may want to dive into more details about what KINDS of food you're eating. But that's a discussion for another day perhaps. Good luck!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51