Protein?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
54 Posts
Jan 13, 2015 2:00pm
via Android

After lifting weights do I need to be eating some kind of protein? Is it essential to have a snack after or just anything?

Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jan 13, 2015 2:12pm
via iOS
The protein question!! 
Here are my thoughts......... 
If you are a competitor, or want to get your body in the absolute best shape you possibly can, you should drink a protein shake straight after your workout and eat within an hour (good mix of protein/carbs/fats).
If, like me, you just wanna be healthier and look good but don't wanna sacrifice too much of your life to fitness I've found it doesn't really matter and I prefer not to buy protein powder now. 

I've always found it funny watching guys chug a 50g protein drink at the gym, then heading out to drink beer!! 
13 Jan
Definitely just want to be healthy and toned not really worried about getting "bulky" didn't know if I should go out and buy those tasteless protein bars! :)
13 Jan
My advice (I'm very opinionated as you can see!!) is to avoid the protein bars! They're expensive and most of them are packed with sugar. You can easily make your own.
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jan 13, 2015 2:13pm
via iOS
Oh, and I forgot to mention... After I workout I prefer to eat around 3oz of chicken, half a cup of brown rice & some greens (usually broccoli or spinach) 
Grayshirtface_thumb
96 Posts
Jan 13, 2015 3:49pm

While it's not necessary to use a protein powder or some other body building targeted protein product, it IS important for you to get enough protein when working your muscles. You don't necessarily need to eat only protein after a workout, but without protein and water to help your muscles repair themselves, your muscles won't grow and you will experience prolonged periods of muscle soreness.

If you're not after gaining muscle and just want additional strength then make sure you give yourself plenty of rest between training sessions to let your body recover but don't skimp on water. It's one of the great fitness mysteries to people for some reason, but water is essential.

Image_thumb
29 Posts
Jan 15, 2015 9:11pm
via Android

As Scott said, it will be based around what you intend to do and where you want to take your body. Proteins, bcaas and a good carb source are recommended to restore glycogen levels and stimulate protein synthesis in the body following lifting sessions. If you're just doing cardiovascular exercises then protein drinks etc are not essential. A good meal is however.

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jan 16, 2015 2:04am
via Android

Nikki
I work out ALOT! And I have to have my protein shakes afterwards! It helps me so much! And no I don't get the protein bars!

16 Jan
I did a protein shake tonight after my workout but the sugar content was really high does most protein shakes have a high sugar content?
16 Jan
No they can very depending on what you buy. There are many many different forms of proteins on the market and they're not all created the same. Personally I'd stay away from the name brands and ones plugged by pros. The states have a wider range than here so you'll need to research what's best for you.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51