Squats

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
54 Posts
Jan 21, 2015 1:47am
via iOS
If I just started doing squats how much should I be lifting I leg press only 130? Does that mean I should start squats off at 130?
21 Jan
For females the average woman should be able to squat their body weight, but by know means is that what you should start out with. Like most have said, start out low(just the bar) and work your way up. You should never sacrifice form for weight, for any exercise, squat or other.
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jan 21, 2015 2:16am
via Android

No ma'am, not at all. I am a certified personal trainer and I would strongly recommend not trying for a while. Squats require so much more than leg strength to prevent injury. There are guys that I train for sports who can leg press over 700 pounds and squat about 300 with good form. Try 45 first (bar only) for squats and then go up if your form is good and solid. Shoot for 10 reps then rest for about 90 seconds and go again. If you leg press form is good and deep, that will help increase your squat weight quickly, just remember how fragile the back is when you squat, it's not a worry on leg press! Good luck!

21 Jan
Thank you just started how do I know if my form is correct I've done squats without weights for a while but it is harder to get as low with the weight bar!
Image_thumb
1 Post
Jan 21, 2015 2:23am
via Android

I would get on youtube and search around for material on the right form while performing squats.

21 Jan
Yeah, definitely look up form. Also, placing 5 pound plate weights under your heels only when you squat will help alot. It's a starting tool trainers use, it keeps you chest and butt out which lets you get your hips lower without feeling off balance. Remember to point your toes out slightly to keep your hips open at the bottom to help get past horizontal with your quads.
21 Jan
Awesome thanks guys def good tips to help out with my form!
21 Jan
I like that 5lb plate idea!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51