3 sets of 15 reps ????

10 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
54 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 12:05pm
via iOS
I am 5,3 125 and I just here recently started doing weights I never really looked into it much and until now I thought you just did good reps and got good results!!! But I have heard doing different/longer set/reps give you different results my goal is to gain some lean muscle and get tone I've been doing 3 sets of 15 reps is that to many? Should I lower my Reps it is my 3 sets of 15 going to help the way it's needed ?!?
Image_thumb
214 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 1:54pm
via Android

Do you mean heavy weights low reps?

Image_thumb
54 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 1:58pm
via iOS
Well I've been doing the heaviest weights I can lift for about 12 to 15 reps like on like the leg extensions and curls that's about 75lbs but i wasn't sure if I should up the weights and lower the reps? For better muscle gain
23 Jan
Unless you specifically training for: power, strength, muscle hypertrophy or endurance the amount of weight, reps and rest time is not that important. Do a weight that you can control with good form but still feels challenging. I had a topic post sometime back on"Maximizing your goals" it spells out differences between strength, power etc training and what weights, reps etc have been most effective. If your interested you can check it out.
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 2:21pm
via iOS
Me again! There's loads of research on the different results you can get from different rep ranges. Rather than bother yourself with it why don't you alternate your rep ranges? 
I do and it hasn't done me any harm.
Sometimes I lift heavy in a 6 rep range
Sometimes 12 rep
Sometimes 15 rep
Sometimes 20 rep
Occasionally 30 rep
23 Jan
Thanks Scotty! You always have pretty good advice and tips!! I guess it wouldn't hurt to try just wondering if there was a specific range of set/reps!! Guess just see what works best for me!!
23 Jan
You're welcome, I just figure that unless a person wants to compete we shouldn't get too concerned about the intricacies of training. I choose a different workout program every month to keep things fresh. Too many people give up because they don't find the gym fun.. I DO!!
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 3:02pm
via iOS
Forgot to mention.
Two workout programs by Grage & Stoppani have you working each body part twice a week one day heavy (6-8 reps) and one day light (12-15). The theory being that by continually shocking the body by keeping it guessing what the hell is going on it helps muscle growth.
I've done the Stoppani one in September and will be doing the other one in February. I've had this month off to enjoy myself and eat(!) while just enjoying my workouts but I get serious again next month so will be tracking everything 
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 4:46pm
via Android

I like doing 3x10 & 2x5 to failure on each set... the 2x5 is like showing the muscles what they will be lifting for 3x10 in a couple of weeks..haha

The idea is to hit slow and fast twitch muscles...build some stamina, quick strength and mass, I also train isolation which isnt in fashion anymore, I dont think training that way in compound exercises would be as affective or safe.

Image_thumb
214 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 4:47pm
via Android

O'kay, Scotty has answered already ^^ I share that interest in how to mix things up and found out there's really a lot you can do and nothing's wrong! I've read about pyramid and reverse pyramid sets, check out those too if you want :)

23 Jan
Tri-set microcycles is my current favorite!! (Jim Stoppani if anyone wants to read up on it)
Image_thumb
14 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 4:50pm
via Android

Hey, you just do whatever is comfortable..start out with 5 our 10 lbs 3 sets of fifteen if you complete that and it seems too easy, add weight another set, or more reps. With more reps you will get endurance, with more weight you'll get your strength!

Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 23, 2015 7:22pm
via Android

There is no "correct" answer without an assessment or the guidance of a certified PT to guage your overall fitness level before starting any program.
The  most common rule is: to build size = lower reps (2-5) with more sets (6-8), to get a more lean look = more reps (12-15...or more) with lower sets (2-4) and to build strength you will fall in the middle, 3 to 4 sets with reps in the 8-12 range (which is where you typically want to start).
Regardless, starting out with weights you will see an increase in size as your arms are adjusting to the loads you are putting on them (building muscle).  If you do not want to get to "big", then simply decrease the weight and do more reps.  If you are happy with your size and want to look cut, then simply do more reps with the same weight.
Best.

23 Jan
Thank you kind of what I was looking for!!because when I started I wasn't aware of how different sets and reps did different things!!
24 Jan
I used to do i did 30 sets of 10 reps of pull ups crunches push ups not to show off work harder
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Jan 24, 2015 10:30pm
via iOS
Hey Nikki, to get bigger muscles higher weight is the key,  and more reps is better of course, but let's say that you have two options - doing 12 reps with some weight or doing 8 reps with higher weight - then option no2 is th best 4 gaining more muscles. Doing let's say 4 different exercises, 3 sets everyone for every muscle "kind" - shoulders, back, legs, triceps, biceps, chest.. - is good. One more thing, as the rest time is shorter, u will get better tesults, cause as the blood flood flows in the muscles for more time, u will get better results..
Wishing it helps u :))

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51