Discouraged :/

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
54 Posts
Jan 28, 2015 3:49pm
via iOS
About 4 weeks ago I started weight training I've always been a runner never really done weights but I decided to start and so far have not seen really much of a difference other than stronger core and I can lift more its kind of discouraging cause I figured I would start to see some muscle tone already. Does that mean I'm doing something wrong or I just should probably naive t more time!?! I know it takes time what's your opinions!?!
28 Jan
As long as you're progressing it's good. Try increasing your protein uptake?
28 Jan
4 weeks isn't long enough really as your muscles are stretching out now you're using them so you wont see a difference so soon. You gaining strength which means your gaining muscle and leaner muscle than before you started.
28 Jan
Yes I can definitely tell bell I'm gaining strength it just can't tell it anywhere else yet I'll give it another month or two and hopefully I will see results
Image_thumb
201 Posts
Jan 28, 2015 4:34pm
via iOS
Could be a little of both, by 4 weeks you should see some muscle toning. If you wouldn't mind post or PM me your full workout of your next weight lifting day. Don't go extra hard just a normal day for you. I'll help out as best as I can!
Grayshirtface_thumb
96 Posts
Jan 28, 2015 4:39pm

It sounds like you're definitely progressing and building strength. If you want to see your muscles more then you have to reduce your overall body fat percentage. I see guys at the gym that are loading up the bar with A LOT of weight, but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at them. On the other hand I see guys who look really ripped but can barely lift anything.

There's a balance in there for everyone. Personally I'd like to see more of what I have so I'm really focused in on my diet. Have you heard the expression "Abs are made in the kitchen"? I would amend that statement slightly to say "Abs are revealed in the kitchen."

Without knowing all the details it's difficult to give any specific help but generally speaking, if you want to SEE more results then you need to change up your eating.

Image_thumb
54 Posts
Jan 28, 2015 4:47pm
via iOS
I usually do 30 min of intense cardio before I do 45 of weight training usually everyday sometimes I miss a day or to but not much then I also eat pretty healthy I don't eat much breads and I usually stick with a lean meat like chicken or fish and then always veggies no sodas usually just coffee and water
28 Jan
No need to get impatient Nikki, hang in there, he progress will be visible with constant growth and slow and steady increase of reps. Keep going you will get there....
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Jan 28, 2015 5:02pm
via Android

You will do...dont worry and train hard :-)

Image_thumb
214 Posts
Jan 28, 2015 6:42pm
via Android

Hey, Nikki! Be patient :) It took me 8 weeks to see only a little "visible" progress, and I don't even have much fat on... Just keep going! Plus being able to lift heavy must be quite satisfying: just think that your extra strength will help you improve faster and faster!! You're doing well, just stick to it :)))))

28 Jan
Thanks definitely not giving up just ready to see my hard work paying off!!!
28 Jan
Thanks ladies!!! I'm going to keep it up maybe try a different routine to see what works best for me and see if I get better results
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Jan 28, 2015 6:55pm
via iOS
To add to other people's comments I would suggest that the amount of cardio you are doing is too high. It's possible that you're fatiguing your muscles to the extent that you're not lifting sufficient weight to shock your muscles into growth.
I do my HIIT after working the weights and if I'm in the gym for that length of time I sip on a protein shake so the cardio doesn't undo the hard lifting by burning the muscle. 
28 Jan
What would be a good amount of cardio to weights I should do I was doing 30 min cause I wanted to loose a couple lbs but I lost the 5 I wanted to loose just wasn't sure if I should do cardio every day!
28 Jan
I can only recommend based on what appears to work for me. Because I like to lift heavy I prefer to do some steady state cardio (elliptical/bike/treadmill) for 6-10 minutes to get the blood flowing. I lift weights for 30-45mins, then transition into doing HIIT for around 12-15mins to sweat out some calories. On non-lifting days I do 30-45mins of steady state cardio. That's my usual workout method, although I'm doing a specific workout program in February which is different. My thought when I read your topic was just that, if you're doing intense cardio for 45min, your body isn't...
28 Jan
That makes sense I need to change up my routine maybe if I do weights first then about a half of the cardio after that way my body isn't already fatigued?
29 Jan
Definitely do strength training before cardio. I was wondering about this myself so I did a little research and that seems to be the best if you want to lose weight/fat while gaining muscle. The ratio of strength to cardio depends on your goals, abilities, diet and body type but this article might help you figure out a good place to start http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru23.htm. Good luck!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51