Starting with weights

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
269 Posts
Feb 16, 2015 2:07am
via iOS
So I've done a few of the workouts that add in Dumbbells. Up until today I never thought much of counting my reps although I did write down my weight. So today I counted my reps. What I want to know, anyone, what is a good rep count for a beginner? I did the Werkin Women workout today with mostly 5lb weights.
16 Feb
I think 3 sets of 10-12 reps are good for beginners. That's what I do and you can always increase it as you get more comfortable!
Image_thumb
255 Posts
Feb 16, 2015 7:43am
via Android

It depends of your goal.
If you want to define your muscles you must be able to do a session of 10-15 reps for an exercice.
If your want to make yours muscles grow you must be able to do 8 reps max.
so you will have to try to reach the good goal different weight. But be careful when you do a rep it must be a perfect one.

16 Feb
A little of both. I have enough muscle to do 35-40 push ups in a two minute time window, but not quite enough to do more than maybe one pull up. Yesterday I worked with mostly 5lb weights and my chest press with Dumbbells averaged 26 in the minute. I do everything at home so I'm not 100% sure on my form but nothing hurts when I'm doing it or after.
16 Feb
The next day do you feel the sore? If no then you you will have to do more reps or add weight (or the both). Remember that after the last rep you really had to think that you need rest. For an example i did 8or 10 reps with my 17kg Dumbbells when i did workout but i try to gain muscle because i'm a little thin.
16 Feb
I'm a little sore this morning. I used 8 lbs for tricep dips and the bicep curls as I wasn't feeling anything with the 5s. I do have 10 lb weights as well but I'm not sure mentally if I'm ready for that
16 Feb
Ok stay at this level for 3 weeks then add 2lbs every 3 weeks till your limit (aim 10 reps). You can also add a session of 4x10 reps. You have the choice :add weight or add workout.
16 Feb
Every other day or every third day? That's been the other problem, I've been told two different things so it's been totally sporadic on my weight days.
Image_thumb
269 Posts
Feb 28, 2015 12:49am
via iOS
Today I upped my weight to 8 lbs in preparation for ScottyK's 30 day shred starting Monday. I did more then I thought I would with the added weight. Must mean I'm getting better lol.
Image_thumb
1654 Posts
Feb 28, 2015 6:12pm
via iOS
When you check out the reps in my program try your best to stick to not only the reps but the weight coz there are specific reasons. 

(1) low rep/heavy weight - the reps of 3 with your absolute max weight you can lift (if you have dumbbells heavy enough) will crank your heart rate up to begin the calorie burning but also engage different muscle fibers than you would in the 10-15 rep range. It'll also help improve your strength which'll help you push through the future workouts. 
(2) the 8-15 rep ranges will engage different muscle fibers to the one above to keep shocking your body into growth. That way it'll help you maintain muscle while burning fat. Very useful for the army?! 
(3) the 25 rep range will engage your third muscle fiber group again shocking your body.

If you get the weight correct in each workout you'll be sweating by the time you finish and your heart rate will be elevated. Then it's time to hit the cardio where you'll put your fat burning into overdrive! 
28 Feb
Oh and I'll respond to your pm on Monday after I've checked your questions against the workouts
28 Feb
Sounds good thanks :). And I'll do the 10s and 8s and only use the 5s if I need to. I think I'm comfortable enough with the 8 lbs to start there.
Image_thumb
107 Posts
Feb 28, 2015 8:30pm
via Android

In my created workours is one called foundation 1.  It's a good beginners workout with dumbbells and pushups and a few other things.  But  yeah 10-12 reps is good to start.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51