Sudden ankle pain whilst squatting

3 posts | Original | Recent
73 Posts
Feb 16, 2015 8:18pm
via Android

Today whilst squatting i noticed a pain or more of an uncomfortable pressure in my left ankle on the outside of my leg. My first 3 sets were fine it was on my 4th and 5th set. Im hoping this would be a one off but after reading think i might experience this everytime i squat now, especially as i get heavier. Any suggestions on easing this please or has anyone else have anything similiar?

376 Posts
Feb 16, 2015 8:31pm

Hey, Kimmy! I really hope you are not injured. I squat real heavy. When I started working with my kinesiologis, a little trick he showed me was to put two plates under my heels to avoid stress related injuries on the ankles. At least, that's why I think he asked me to do it. What I do know is that you're always well anchored that way. I hope that can help and also that some of the other Skimblers with their expertise can offer up worthy advice. If it keeps hurting more so than mild discomfor, go see a professional. Ok, darling?

16 Feb
I did try that before, i thought the plates were for balance more? I do squat with a wide stance and toes pointed slightly out so im targetting my glutes a lot more. I do hope wen i squat nxt its gone. I can still feel a niggling feeling now. It seems all this working out im doing is really bringing out a lot of problems im finding with my body!!! Thanks Mario!
821 Posts
Feb 16, 2015 9:43pm
via Android

Hi kim. I can relate to pain in the ankles. I broke both of them last year... not squatting so don't worry heheh. But I do wrap my ankles whenever I squat now. Maybe you can try that as well.  If the pain persist you should see a physician. Best of luck to you.

16 Feb
Oh no!!! That mustve been painful! So dont you squat anymore? Thats an idea i'll keep it in mind, thanks!
16 Feb
Yeah it sucked. It set me back a bit. But I still squat my glutes off lol

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51