Gaining ab muscle mass

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
158 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 11:20am
via Android

I find it extremely hard to gain ab muscle mass. Whenever I train arm for example, I immediately start seeing results. I've been doing ab exercises for a few years now and I've gained some muscle mass, but not that much.

I try to do a lot of different types of exercises like crunches, planks, etc. but still no difference.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a specific type of exercise I should do to gain mass faster?

21 Feb
I don't know , maybe by reducing ur belly fat cuz ur abs muscles and hidden behind :-) OR u do more dynamic exercises like bicycle crunch + ankle weight for example
11001744_10205710876912184_8514328123955166430_n_thumb
4 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 11:25am
via Android

Have you tried GNC store for products to help?

21 Feb
I'm not a fan of powders and pills. I only eat whole foods.
Image_thumb
29 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 11:47am
via Android

my gym trainer wanted to gain weight because he'll join a competition very soon. i saw him drinking  mass gainer(powder)
i think it helps especially if  you want to gain faster. However, if you want to gain weight with just whole food, it might have gradual result unlike using mass gainer. it just my mere observation and suggestion.  :)

21 Feb
That's what I thought. Unfortunately! But thanks for the insight.
21 Feb
I have friends who use products from whole foods stores like Grassroots or Native Sun stores... They are natural herbal products out there.
Image_thumb
520 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 1:54pm
via Android

For abs muscle mass to show you should have a bf% of 10 or lower. If you've been working them for years now then you must have developed your abs already but they won't show try getting your body fat measured and if you've been on a gain diet since your start go for a cut diet for a month or few weeks hope this helps

21 Feb
I just want bigger abs, not more visible abs
Image_thumb
19 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 3:57pm
via Android

In my opinion, lowering body fat makes it more defined. I've read some articles stating that abs should be treated like any other muscles, but I don't know if weighted ab exercises like weighted decline crunches are more effective than regular planks. Have you tried P90X: Ab Ripper X?

21 Feb
Thanks for your input, I'll look into it
21 Feb
You're welcome! But be careful. Too much ab pop could look like a big belly inside a shirt. :-)
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 3:59pm
via iOS
I think what you're saying is you want your abs to 'pop'. For this you need to train your abs with weight. Cable crunches, weighted Russian twists there's a long list of weight workouts. Simply doing crunches etc will define your abs but not I've that raised look I think you're hoping for
21 Feb
Thanks Scotty, I'll look into this. Do you reckon hanging knee raises/leg lifts is a viable 'weighted' exercise?
21 Feb
You're welcome & yeah, hanging leg raises are another exercise and are awesome for working the abs. I'll attach a link to 3 of my ab weight workouts you can look at to get an idea of options. I'm a big fan of barbell decline crunches as well.
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 4:13pm
via iOS
Image_thumb
10 Posts
Feb 21, 2015 7:19pm
via Android

The problem with abs is that eating a lot would not help you much, you have to train them every day (when it get really painfull, you start working them), and whenever it's not workout time,( I mean contracting them in public transport for exemple). Drinking a lot could help you too.Actually you will never get abs like those bodybuilder without powder, but you could have beautifull ones ;)

22 Feb
I like the idea of great looking abs, haha

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51