I HAVE A QUESTION

12 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
43 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 4:02pm
via Android

Can wall push ups, be a substitute for floor pushups until you can do them lol but seriously HELP

25 Feb
Absolutely they can. When you've worked yourself up to 3 sets of 15 then move to using a table instead of a wall. Then when you get up to three sets of 15 there move to a chair, then to the floor. All of these variations help condition your muscles so that when you actually get to the real thing your body is much more prepared for it.
25 Feb
thank you so much cuz I never thought about using a chair or on the table
25 Feb
Oo, thanks Jason, I was just today talking to my fiance about how it seems impossible for me to learn push-ups. I'll definitely try this!
25 Feb
Me too!!! I really thought I'd never grasp it. Will try this out. Thank you thank you thank you!!! :D
Image_thumb
43 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 4:28pm
via Android

ok ok thank you soo much cause I #never thought bout the chair or table

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 6:40pm

Frankly, Breaun... I'ma tell it like it is. Those wall inverted push ups are dangerous. There's a lot of broken necks in the E.R. on account of those... Patients explaining to the docs and nurses that they did it in the name of fitness. One fail is all it takes. There are literally dozens of push up variations and shoulder presses that will work the same way an inverted push up does. Yeah, it's a neat little circus trick but... and those rubber cushion things they sell to folks who really insist on living dangerously won't help the vertebrae in your neck if you fall wrong either. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, sister... you add up enough of those, you get a dollar. ;-)

25 Feb
yo imma be honest when I am doing the wall push ups I do tend to slide back a little bit so I can see me slipping and falling and breaking my neck. Your 2cents saved me a broken neck and a trip to the hospital and the humiliations lol THANK YOU
Image_thumb
43 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 6:49pm
via Android

yo imma be honest when I am doing the wall push ups I do tend to slide back a little bit so I can see me slipping and falling and breaking my neck. Your 2cents saved me a broken neck and a trip to the hospital and the humiliations lol THANK YOU

Image_thumb
334 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 6:55pm
via Android

Oooooh...just read this...maybe won't be trying this...thank you for your input on this Mario. I'm too clumsy to chance my precious neck.

Image_thumb
222 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 8:48pm
via Android

I'm confused are you guys talking about pushups done while leaning against a wall or handstand pushups?

Handstand pushups could be pretty dangerous if you are not skilled and strong and have a spotter.

I would think you would have to be pretty clumsy to break your neck doing a regular wall pushup.

26 Feb
I got confused as well Marc.. I understood from the question that it's a lean forward to a wall kind of push up, which by the way is fine for a beginner.. Then there is the handstand wall push up, which is for a more advanced person.. & yeah it's DANGEROUS!!!
Image_thumb
43 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 10:58pm
via Android

wall push ups where you lean forward and you push up from the wall.

Image_thumb
43 Posts
Feb 25, 2015 10:58pm
via Android

wall push ups where you lean forward and you push up from the wall.

not a handstand pushup I will probably never be strong enough to do that

26 Feb
I'm not an expert but usually that's how you get conditioned to do a regular pushup. You should be safe. Handstand pushups not so much.
Image_thumb
66 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 5:28am
via Android

Try knee pushups. They are half the pushup, and work great

Image_thumb
382 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 6:46am
via Android

I don't really understand how someone could slip and break their neck doing wall push-ups either? You gotta be reeeal clumsy to do that. Now, doing push-ups against tables and chairs I can see the danger, but as long as you use sturdy furniture and have security in check it shouldn't be dangerous.

26 Feb
Re-reading I see what you mean Anna. Thanks for that! :)
26 Feb
why you're doing push ups off the wall if you don't have the proper fitting or non slip shoes. you could lose your footing why you're pushing your weight up from the wall you know your arms go weak, and you can't push yourself back up. your feet slide back your body drops to the floor why your neck drag the wall. that's how you would break your neck. cuz there's a heavy person who can't support their weight doing pushups up the wall their feet is slowly sliding back
26 Feb
Yes but Mario was talking about inverted push-ups where you have your legs up the wall or are standing on your hands. Not wall push-ups. I get what you mean but I still have a hard time picturing it happening. Of course you need to check first that your shoes or the floor aren't slippy but I can't see how you'd lose your footing all of a sudden.
26 Feb
Talking of slipping, I once decided I'd try to see how high I can kick. On a hardwood floor. With wool socks on. It hurt really, really bad. :D
26 Feb
Ouch Anna! That must have left a reminder for a day or two. In regards to the push ups. I'd never even attempt inverted ones as I'm already struggling with the basics.lol I guess it's just down to the individual. If you feel you're not safe or are not doing the exercise in the right way don't do it. Or at least wait until you've been shown the correct way to do it. Just know your limits.
Image_thumb
100 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 10:40am
via Android

I think knee push ups is the best option

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Feb 26, 2015 4:31pm
I think what I said might demand clarification... Incline or decline push-ups where your feet are on the wall or another stable and steady support or your hands on the wall, feet away from the wall. Those are relatively safe... Wall assisted or no wall, upside down inverted handstand push-ups are the ones I was talking about when I said they could land you in a hospital, explaining that you broke your neck 'cause you thought "they looked so cool compared to a shoulder press with dumbbells, doctor..."
26 Feb
Yeah that's what I thought you were talking about Mario. I've tried inverted / handstand pushups and they require lots of strength and balance. If you don't break Your neck you could rip up your shoulder.
26 Feb
Thanks guys. I'll stick with the basics. :P
26 Feb
That's the way to explain..

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51