Pushups?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
21 Posts
Mar 15, 2015 10:29pm
via iOS
Are pushups effective in building mass and getting a cut torso? Particularly in high volume
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Mar 15, 2015 11:12pm
via Android

Hey! I've been doing pushups for a long time now, and it really focuses more on your core than anything else. It does help a bit with your biceps or triceps (depending on which kind of pushups) and if you are talking about the v. Leg raises and pull ups are great. hope I answered part of your question :)

Image_thumb
95 Posts
Mar 16, 2015 2:20am
via iOS
If you're looking for mass, I'd say they are not effective.  If you can do hundreds of them, then they aren't that difficult to do, and won't yield you large gains.  You are probably looking for heavy weight exercises that you can do 8-10 reps of.
16 Mar
Thanks, I'm just looking for something to help get me ready for the beach
Image_thumb
95 Posts
Mar 16, 2015 2:25am
via iOS
You can do things to make them more difficult though: I do diamond push-ups, incline, decline, weighted push-ups, clapping, off-set, Spider-Man, stuff like that.  If you do the same routine every day, you might see big gains initially, but as your body gets used to it, gains will decrease.  Keep your body guessing by mixing up your routine and it should yield results.  Good luck
Image_thumb
21 Posts
Mar 16, 2015 2:27am
via iOS
Thanks, I'm generally stuck with bodyweight movements bc the only equipment I have is a single adjustable dumbbell and I live and work at least 40 minutes from the closest gym
Image_thumb
95 Posts
Mar 16, 2015 2:30am
via iOS
I do mostly body weight too.  I don't really have time to go to the gym.  Pull-ups are excellent, and you can do those at the park!  Dips, push-ups (as already mentioned), body weight squats work a whole bunch of muscles, there are many exercises you can do, don't let the whole "body weight" restriction be a restriction?

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51