Whey with water or milk?

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
158 Posts
Mar 27, 2015 10:04am
via Android

Hey guys,

A friend of mine just dropped off some whey protein powder. I've hardly ever used it before and I was wondering if it's best to mix it with water or milk?

Thanks!

27 Mar
Milk!!! Eewww no water lolol
27 Mar
I don't care about the taste, haha. I just want to know if there's a chemical difference. Maybe the Milk breaks down the whey? I'm just wondering.
27 Mar
Oh wouldn't know that answer but as for taste No thanks lolol!!
27 Mar
Haha ok. Well I hope someone else knows the answer. Thanks anyway :)
27 Mar
Scotty probably knows!! He's good with stuff like that!! Or Google!! U can google anything lolol
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Mar 27, 2015 12:47pm
via Android

It's more about thickness and texture. Whey tends to mix better with skim milk resulting in a more consistent texture and less chunks. I use water because I don't care about texture and I just down it quickly. I wouldn't worry about the calories gained from mixing with milk unless you have issues with lactose in milk. Good luck!

27 Mar
Thanks man!
27 Mar
Sure thing!
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Mar 27, 2015 12:55pm
via iOS
I don't use whey at all! I use hemp or vegeteraian protein and I use water or most of the time, almond milk.
27 Mar
Skim milk or almond milk. Try finding a isolate whey protein as well it's easier for your system to digest quickly so less is wasted. Also keep your whey upwards of 90% whey protein, more bang for your dollar
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Mar 27, 2015 2:59pm
via iOS
Water if I'm losing weight & don't want the extra calories. Soy or almond milk if I'm trying to put weight on. I also add frozen mango or blueberries if I'm getting sick of the taste
Image_thumb
459 Posts
Mar 27, 2015 5:34pm
via Android

I've always heard the rule of water to lose,  milk to gain. It all depends on which way you're trying to go.
I use 2% because whole milk causes bad things to happen for me. And seems to stick straight to my gut lol

27 Mar
And of course Scotty answered the same first. Lol
Image_thumb
159 Posts
Mar 27, 2015 8:07pm
via Android

Water! Especially after a workout you want protein to be digested and utilised quickly into muscles that are broken down. Milk is slow digesting with a negligible amount of extra proteins. Sure it tastes better in milk but not as functional then.

27 Mar
So it does matter?! Thanks for the info!
27 Mar
Welcome :)
Icon_missing_thumb
280 Posts
Mar 27, 2015 8:15pm
via Android

Water

Image_thumb
158 Posts
Apr 4, 2015 9:19pm
via Android

So if I'm getting this right mixing Milk with your whey powder has a better taste and breaks down slowly, therefore it's a good pre-workout shake. Mixing your whey powder with water is better post-workout, because it helps hydrate your body and take in the protein faster.

This sums it up, right?

04 Apr
Pretty much yeah. Plus you would add milk if you wanted the extra calories and carbs

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51