Best way for a woman to bulk up?

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Apr 16, 2015 10:43pm
via Android

I want to put on muscle, but most of the strength training guides out there are aimed at guys. Anyone got tips for a woman looking to build muscle?

Image_thumb
155 Posts
Apr 16, 2015 11:19pm
via Android

Rule for women is quite similar... more weight, less reps... eat more protein or use a good protein supplement... I'm looking to add muscle too!

Use more free weights, they use more muscles than a machine and that can help develop muscle faster.

17 Apr
Interesting , thank you.
Image_thumb
155 Posts
Apr 16, 2015 11:20pm
via Android

How are u splitting your routine?

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Apr 17, 2015 3:22am
via Android

No way yet. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it before I start anything.

Image_thumb
14 Posts
Apr 17, 2015 7:21pm
via Android

There is a common myth about protein supplementsFor building muscle, too much protein just goes to waste, for the most part, and can cause some health issues later on.

Protein intake should be along this scale: 1 gram protein for every 1-1.25 pounds of current body weightSo if you're say, 140 lbs, you should take in no more than 115-140grams of proteinAnd that quantity is only for the most hardcore athletesAn 'average' person, only exercising once or twice a week, only needs about a third of their body weight in grams per dayAn average fitness buff only needs about two thirds, so for bulking up, especially if you're not going hard for more than six hours total a week, maybe three quarters to eighty percent at most.

Protein is like the construction workerFiber is like the tools the worker uses to build, and carbs and calories are the materialsSo, get a healthy amount of fiber, follow the formula for protein, and eat the heck out of rice, cheese, whole grain breads, etc. for the bulk adding

Protein is, again, not necessary in extreme quantitiesI can't, unfortunately, cite my source, though I would imagine there are several on the internetI got my information from a personal trainer about a year and a half ago, and judging by the results I got(until I got lazy on my own), his methods and diet plan were great..  Calories and carbs are the biggest things you need, as well as a properly structured regimen.

ExampleI am 191 lbs. as of a week agoI currently take in between 100-120 grams of total protein a day, and absolutely tear through rice, cheese, and celeryThe celery is actually considered negative calories in stick form(chewing burns more calories than are gained), though if its minced, it is neutral caloriesI use it for just fiberIn the past week, I've gained 4 lbs, and lost a half inch off my waist(I may have started Skimble yesterday, but have been working out again since a few weeks ago, was body building back in the day, and in the past couple years have lost over 120 lbs, and gained back 13, intentionally)

Fiber and carbs are absolutely criticalContrary to popular belief that fiber just helps in weight loss, it can help in weight gain as well with enough calories and carbs, because it makes the stuff fully digest, which keeps the nutrients from simply passing throughAs for the regularity issue, fiber keeps regularity, and does not simply make you goIt is a critical nutrient in any healthy diet(hence why the food guide pyramid has so many servings of fruits and vegetables)

Okay, beginning to beat this into the ground, but again I say, protein is not something to just keep crammingIt can cause kidney, liver, and many other health problems because it breaks down into nitrogen and non-protein amino acids.

The key to protein, is -when- it is usedThomazs (my trainer) told me to eat a few spoonfuls of peanut butter before a workout, and a big bowl of beans and rice afterPhenomenal results.

Hope this helps
Happy shredding!

18 Apr
Thank you so much :)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51