Does yoga really help lose weight?

7 posts | Original | Recent
7 Posts
Jan 28, 2014 4:31am
via Android

Can you quickly lose weight by doing yoga stretches and poses daily, or is it mostly for flexibility...I've kind of been doing boot camp/yoga together so hopefully I'll start seeing the difference...also, I'm at an intermediate level in yoga, I havdnt been doing yoga everyday, but can usually do about 30-45 mins of intermediate yoga...what's a great way to lose weight while doing yoga? Green tea? Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

2 Posts
Jan 28, 2014 4:34am
via Android

Yes you can.. Yoga is a very good form of exercise for overall health...and well being...

1017 Posts
Jan 28, 2014 6:07am
via Android

Not so much since it doesnt burn that much calories.

1 Post
Jan 28, 2014 7:39am
via iOS
Yoga will not help lose weight it is more suited for flexibility and toning
3 Posts
Jan 28, 2014 8:53am
via iOS
The only way to lose weight is to consume less calories and burn more.  The most efficient way to lose weight by exercising is to burn the most calories in the least amount of time (but that isn't necessarily the best way to get fit, and it's easy to burn out or get injured).  There are some types of yoga that are more vigorous and do burn a substantial amount of calories - like flowing vinyasas in Astanga and power yoga
196 Posts
Jan 28, 2014 9:37am
via Android

Sun salutation or surya namaskar is d best way to lose weight. Try n do 50in a day. See d difference.

23 Posts
Apr 20, 2016 4:04pm

Hi Ashley, Silvie, the Verified  Trainer, here. Yoga definitely helps you loose weight. I have created "Yoga for Weight Loss" collection that you might find helpful. It also explains how yoga helps you loose weight. Here is a link:

20 Apr
Yoga doest definitely helps you lose weight when you aren't creating a kcal deficit, whether by activities or consuming less energy/food.
21 Apr
Yoga can influence weight loss, but not in the common sense of how we link physical activity to weight loss. Yoga increases our body awareness, which helps us make better informed choices. Many of us eat more when stressed. This sequence is to lower stress levels. Our bodies don't digest properly when stressed, which results in weight gain. Yoga can improve digestion.
21 Apr
That's all very vague and sounds full of assumptions. I'm not saying it can't help people. But saying it definitely helps weight loss, based on the assumption people get better 'body awareness' and make other choices because of it. I'm not convinced. The only thing that truly helps is creating a negative energy balance.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51