Super new to yoga. Help? :)

7 posts | Original | Recent
11 Posts
Apr 25, 2013 8:08pm
via iOS
I just recently picked up Yoga and went for a class once and definitely thats not gonna be my last.

What are the basic things or terms i need to know about yoga?

Any yoga-addicts care to help? :)
08 May
Im not a huge yoga practioner but I do do it 3 times a week in combination with running, soccer and tons of weight and strength training. Adding the yoga a few times a week (some weeks every day just a short routine) ive seen a huge difference in my flexibility and definition. I now am a strong believer in the combination of these things, ill do yoga for the rest of my life now it feels too damn good to stretch like that.
08 May
Yea, besides yoga, i have my gyming, running, and netball. And i feel yoga helps alot for my body as a whole. It gives a different feeling which im loving it. Thanks for the comment though. It's nice to see people sharing! :)
04 Nov
I've started yoga a few months back.. I personally think yoga is all about putting your mind at ease and allowing yourself to breathe properly..99% of it is learning how to breathe in and out in your control and that remaining 1% is getting the yoga pose/structure.
29 Apr
Learn to breath ujjayi breath and sync your breathing with movement. Keep breathing as you stay in the pose. Be sure to take a child's pose if you need to rest. There are some basics in terms of pose alignment too. Let me know if you are interested and I will share them with you.
71 Posts
Apr 25, 2013 10:31pm
via Android

I'm not a 'yoga addict', but I do yoga at home sometimes or hot yoga at a studio. I think the most important thing to do is make sure you stretch a lot, as it will help your yoga, especially if you do the fast-paced yoga. And drink a lot of water!! Sorry I couldn't help more!

1 Post
May 3, 2013 4:35pm
id luv to start yoga as it would help my back problems
102 Posts
May 3, 2013 10:19pm
via Android

When you do the moves relax and breathe into them.

54 Posts
May 4, 2013 4:06am
via iOS
Going to a few classes definitely helps, that way you can get some instruction on how to do poses properly, to make them more effective and prevent injury. There are also some good books, I think Yoga Anatomy is the one I'm thinking of, describes the postures including what muscles should be stretched vs engaged during each one. Yoga is great for your body an mind, good luck!
11 Posts
May 4, 2013 4:34am
via iOS
Thank you everyone for your kind advices. Im definitely gonna take all these pointers in mind. Im starting slow as well. Im loving it more each time. Thank you once again..! :D
7 Posts
May 8, 2013 10:25am

Really great information was given by everyone. I want to tell you some important things.

1)      Use a stretchable clothes like yoga pants, leggings. It will help you to stretch your body easily and without any efforts.

2)      Use comfortable clothes,

3)      Use sweat free clothes, while performing yoga or any workout if clothes are not sweat free then it is possible that your knees, hands become slippery.

4)      Using branded workout wears will have all above qualities so always buy branded activewears.

08 May
I sure do take these points in mind as well. I bought some stretchable leggings for sure n some activewear tshirts. I guess that helps for now. And i always have towel on top of the yoga mat. :)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51