Neck pain after abs exercises

4 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 23, 2013 12:04pm
via Android

Why I feel neck muscles pain after doing abs exercises?
I tried to focus on my abs to elevate my upper body, but still experience neck pain.
Any tips to avoid the muscles pain?

23 Sep
I m also feeling same problem
23 Sep
sometimes i feel like i didnt work on my abs but my neck lol
Image_thumb
389 Posts
Sep 23, 2013 12:11pm
via iOS
I have slight neck pain when I do abs, but I really get more nauseaous, if I were you do more planks, or standing Ab work. 

Also check your technique. Make sure your not pulling on your neck when lifting, put fingers behind the ears and not your hands behind your head...
23 Sep
thanks for your suggestions:) but i dont know why when i do elbow planks ,i feel that i am using my shouder but not my abs. is it my abs is too weak to hold the position?
24 Sep
Make sure you are pulling your abs in when you do planks. Basically just flex them the whole time. You should defiantly feel it then!!!
Image_thumb
612 Posts
Sep 23, 2013 2:56pm
via Android

I get the same.  Good tip for you.  Keep your tongue pressed against the roof of your mouth while doing the exercises.  It prevents unnecessary pulling in the neck.  Not holding your neck but rather touching your forehead while doing the exercises also helps.

24 Sep
I will try that see if I could avoid neck pain, thanks so much Alan :)
Icon_missing_thumb
122 Posts
Sep 24, 2013 11:16pm
via Android

What kind of ab exercises are you doing when your neck hurts?

24 Sep
Well, I know when I do anything that involves "crunching up" it strains the front of my neck. It's a good idea to try and tuck your chin in to close to your chest to relieve the necessary tension and gently support your head with your fingers (don't push your head forward!). It takes a little practice to get it just right. When I do planks I use to tense my muscles in the back of my neck so I had to relax my neck by focusing on relaxing it and looking at my feet.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51