Swimming and weight loss

6 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Dec 31, 2013 8:38pm
via iOS
Is it correct that swimming does not help loosing weight? Does it help to loose weight if I do swimming as my cardio and instead of running on tread mill or doing eliptical. I don time these machines but I used to be good at swimming and with a little bit of effort I can donot very well and as my cardio. But I am not good at running. It gives me headach and trigger my migraine and tvats why I do not have any motivation to. Go to gym and also when I hear swimming does not help loosing weight it kills my motivation to swim as well. Just to let you know it s been a long time I do not do any workout and I would like to start more seriously. I need to work a lot ln my butt. I pear shape and I would like to loses at least 5 kg. my diet is so clean and fine. Thanks
02 Jan
Any exercise is better than no exercise
Image_thumb
19 Posts
Jan 1, 2014 1:28am
via Android

I'm no expert but I've heard any aerobic exercise that bends (not breaks) your will helps lose weight - especially combined with healthy eating. Swimming is indeed aerobic if you go for speed and has the benefit over running of no joint impact

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Jan 1, 2014 6:38am
via Android

Each and every sport helps you reduce weight,except the indoor ones

Img_20130913_212710_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 4, 2014 2:32am

Swimming burns  a lot of calories so yes, it will help you lose weight.

Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Jan 4, 2014 2:47am
via Android

It burns calories, so yes it will help you lose weight. As i remember right it isnt really effective as a fat burner. Since a relatively low amount of the energy you use cames from your fat cells. But its been to long since i read on the subject to know any specific numbers.

Image_thumb
139 Posts
Jan 4, 2014 3:08am
via Android

Swimming is an excellent aerobic exercise and although you will burn calories you will not burn much fat.  If you look at the elite swimmers they are in fantastic shape but not necessarily muscular.  Because fat floats better than muscle(which is heavier and sinks - which is why hydrostatic weighing is an excellent way to determine % body fat) the more time and training you do in the pool the more your body will adapt and store fat to keep you a float.  Pool exercises are great but you should also focus on land based weight training as well to increase muscle mass if that is what you are looking for.

04 Jan
Swimmers have really low bodyfat percentages. Almost no exeption. The reason swimmers arent that crazy muscular is because swimming isnt a sport based on pure strenght. That fat would float better than muscles is bs ofc.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51