Eating disorders? Please HELP. Don't kno which way to go!

18 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
14 Posts
Jul 14, 2014 4:24am
via Android

Anyone had an eating disorder before? I used to be anorexic and I can't seem to get used to the idea of eating more than 1000 calories to lose weight. Pro-Ana sites tell you to eat as little as possible. Give you tips on how to trick your brain into thinking your full, exercise As much as possible etc... they have pictures of girls that look like how I want to look and I used to look. But I've gained weight this year. I'm 5'7 and went from 100 lbs to 130 which is what I'm at right now. But I want to lose a few lbs& inches, and gain muscle. Has anyone had experience from becoming 'pro Ana' to 'pro fit' ?? AND IF SO WHAT WAS THE DIFFERENCE IN RESULTS?? Today was the first day that I took in 1200 calories in the past two weeks (bcuz of suggestions by people on here) since I've started trying to lose weight/get in shape, I always lived by the rule don't go over 800 cal /day. Please HELP. I don't kno which way to go!

14 Jul
I went through a horrible eating disorder. And sadly I didn't even think of it as one. I thought I was doing a great job at being super skinny, until my family started worrying. I didn't notice. Until I took a few seconds to look in the mirror. I was eating 500 calories a day, AND exercising. I was so weak, physically and especially mentally. I harmed my metabolism in the process of it. I was so, so foolish. Don't ever do that. I was just like you. Trust me it is NO way to live. Those girls could die...
14 Jul
Yea but you lost weight 'starving' yourself right? I'm just saying would it be faster to not eat anything until I lose the inches and then start a fitness program? I'm like sick to my stomach thinking of eating 1500 cal a day. But I guess I can try it if it'll give me the fastest results. WHAT ARE THE FASTEST RESULTS???
15 Jul
What you need to do is just go to the garden and dont eat too much sugar
15 Jul
I want to try to be as sensitive to your situation as possible; someone close to me (We'll call her Jane) has also suffered from an eating disorder so I see how those mantras interfere with more healthy habits. Be aware that any sound fitness plan will have you eat more than 1000 calories a day, and probably more than 1200 a day. Also try to remember that fit does not equal skinny. I've seen you use those words interchangeably - they are very different. What helped Jane was making small but attainable goals, something that doesn't feel overwhelming. If...
28 Jul
The reason most programs recommend eating more food is to keep your metabolism high. When you work your metabolism naturally goes up, then when you eat it will still maintain your metabolism. And eating more calories doesn't mean more good, it means dense food that will hold you over for s longer period. For example, a salad will get you some calories, but a piece of grilled cod will satisfy for longer. You will actually lose weight by eating more. I was overweight and when I started training I agree the same amount of food just different kinds. Hope that...
Image_thumb
28 Posts
Jul 14, 2014 5:18pm
via Android

Have you ever sought professional help? Talking to a therapist could really help you. I've had my fair share of issues and it has totally felt like i was going insane at one point because of over thinking and second guessing. I see you want muscle and tone which is great! This app will help. When you gain muscle, the muscle will help burn calories. But remember, the scale is just a number

Image_thumb
14 Posts
Jul 14, 2014 5:23pm
via Android

No insurance but yea I could prob use some professional help. Lol.  I could use a therapist but what I really want is to talk to someone who is pro Ana AND pro fit...

20 Jul
I'm not sure you can be Pro Ana and be Pro Fit because fundamentally, being Pro Ana is not following a healthy and fit lifestyle whereas being Pro Fit is. The two are mutually exclusive. Instead of looking at Pro Ana sties, I would suggest you start looking only at Pro Fit sites or Anti Ana sites to help to slowly change your perspective. Professional help can be difficult to access depending on where you live. Unfortunately...if you're eating disorder is severe, it may be the only thing that can help. In this scenario, I would go onto an online...
Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Jul 14, 2014 5:43pm
via Android

If you have a disorder like that. Then i as a newbie suggest that you should eat as much as you want. And remember you dont want to lose fat. And the best way to do it is doing some works at home like cleaning sweeping etc.+ a workout you think suits you. And thats all take interest in your home.

Natsu_wallpaper_1_thumb
32 Posts
Jul 14, 2014 8:42pm
via Android

Stop looking at your weight it's a lie and inaccurate measurement of body and health.

You want to tone and lose fat. So you want and need muscles. Muscles need water and food (protein) to burn fat. So you need to eat to get muscles to burn body fat.

Otherwise not eating enough means you lose muscles and gain fat storage. Which makes it harder to burn fat. Also muscle's are heavier than fat so your weight will drop but you might have more fat...so don't measure your weight it's inaccurate.

Be strong and healthy for life not weak and starving. Eating is the best way to be full, your brain and body is you! So don't play "tricks" on yourself it's harmful in the long run. Oh and you're in good shape already, be proud of yourself & body!

So to being stronger!

Image_thumb
14 Posts
Jul 14, 2014 8:53pm
via Android

Thank you for the encouragement guys. I don't even have a scale bcuz it would drive me crazy weighing myself all the time. But I do have a tape measurer and a mirror. I will give  eating small meals a few times a day a try. And up my cal intake. I'll try to eat protein and veggies. ONE MORE QUESTION is it possible to work out too much as a beginner? What is a good amount of time to exercise per day? I'm not lifting weights and mainly sticking to the easy-moderate workouts. But I try to keep moving as much as possible.  Good thing or bad?

21 Jul
yes you can work out to much it will hurt your muscles you are more prone to muscle injury if you work out too much.and also for workouts do 10 to 30 mins max 2 or 3 days a week and after a couple of weeks of this increse to 4 days.also eat vitamin,protein,pottasium,and calcium rich foods.
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Jul 14, 2014 9:41pm
via iOS
You brain alone needs 1,200 calories a day to function properly (including things like balancing hormones, proper release and uptake of neurotransmitters, memory, manage cortisol (stress) levels, etc).. I found that not looking at calories as much as looking at the nutrient quality of my food not only makes me feel better but look better too. The same 200 calories can be a chicken avocado salad and fresh fruit OR a cheeseburger and fries at some fast food place. Good calories are your friend! 

Also, I think any amount of exercise for beginner or advanced should be balanced. Don't neglect family, friends, work, hobbies, etc to workout more. A good starting place would be 30-60 minutes a day (3-5 days a week). 
28 Jul
My brain needs more than 1200 calories a day.
28 Jul
That chicken avocado salad and cheeseburger just got me hungry in the middle of ny workout >.< lol
Image_thumb
140 Posts
Jul 15, 2014 7:14am
via Android

Hey your metabolism can be ruined if you got under 1200 so thats why you may have gained because your metabolism may have been slowing down. You should eat greek fatfree yogurt with fruit to boost your metabolism and I drink green tea alot and black coffee. Fatfree dairy helps out a lot it has protein and very little calories. Also eat small portions of healthy fats from walnuts alvocados and hummus.

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jul 15, 2014 7:48pm
via Android

Hi! I had anorexia and bullimia for three years. My highest weight was 165 and lowest was 98. I am now a healthy 135-140. I work out regularly but have the hardest time eating as much as i am supposed to. Its best to just not think about the calories. Eat clean and protein and carbs to have energy to train hard. Its better to have muscles than to be frail bone. I learned that the hard way. You can add me an we can talk more if you like. Stay strong has a whole new meaning once your recovered girl(: hope i can help.

28 Jul
Right there with you!
02 Aug
Just stumbled upon this post and i was wondering how do u know if u have an eating disorder ? ..........
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jul 15, 2014 7:49pm
via Android

30 minutes to an hour is perfect for just starting out. Than later push yourself to go longer. But feed your muscles!!!!

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jul 15, 2014 7:51pm
via Android

I can talk to you about this as i used to be pro ana and pro mia. However im not anymore and i dont agree with the pro ana/mia world anymore. It was hell and i dont wanna go back.

Jul 16, 2014 7:57pm
via Android

You should probably start out with 25 minutes or so, three times a day.
About the daily intake of calories, forget weight, its just a fancy word for gravity, and remember that throughout the day your body burns calories even without working out, and since your goal is getting fit, its important that you know that if you don't eat enough your body starts to burn muscle mass which only makes it even harder to achieve.
I have an anorexic friend and another bulimic friend at mental facility because of her disorder and some other problems. I don't know first hand much about eating disorders, but I hope you stop taking 'pro ana' opinions in consideration, because they might just take you back to where you started.
Hope this helps:)

17 Jul
**three times a week
Image_thumb
17 Posts
Jul 16, 2014 8:00pm
via Android

Do you want to be skinny or do you want to be/feel healthy?

17 Jul
I want to be skinny and healthy. Lol
28 Jul
Skinny can be healthy only if that's in your genes.
Image_thumb
1 Post
Jul 17, 2014 4:23pm
via iOS
A) ur really cute
B) eat, rest, excercise, and so on
C) byeeee beautiful
17 Jul
Image_thumb
93 Posts
Jul 20, 2014 3:39am
via Android

Hey there, I have to stay it's heart breaking to read posts like this but i feel obligated to share my experience with anorexia. About 6 years ago I become dangerously underweight. I started with excercise which was fine i got in better shape but then i became obsessed with food, calories and fat. I got to the point of eating around 600 calories a day which is very dangerous. the thing i realized with this disease is how quickly ur mind can trick u into thinking wat ur doing is normal or just tryin to be "healthy". i am lucky i had so many ppl intervene to get me healthy. I wish you all the best to you and that you get support and the help u need

25 Jul
Thank thou for your support. Greatly appreciated. <3
25 Jul
Ur welcome. :)
28 Jul
Another kick ass lady! Cheers!
Image_thumb
27 Posts
Jul 28, 2014 2:07pm
via iOS
I'm a recovering anorexic. (I've been stable and 'well' for over 2 years now! It rocks). 

If you don't want food and exercise to dominate your life get the fuck away from 'pro fit' or 'fitspo'. 

Personally I need to get stronger and physically fitter, would love to be a bit thinner again (recent weight gain after some life changes and hormone changes). It has taken me years to learn to listen to my body and not to others. I've learned to accept and -gasp- even love my curves. I have learned to allow myself to eat whatever I want and ended up with my body being better than it ever looked. 

Neither myself nor any of the recovered anorexics, bulimics and similar can even afford to count calories. 

In terms of current weight management the idea is to start giving my body the exercise it needs with no harshness involved. Today I tried out a few work outs on skimble, not finishing the ones I didn't like. I also went for a run, in which I walked for bits because my body needed it, and I added half a mile to it because I was enjoying it so much. Alongside that I am going to focus on eating enough but making healthy choices. And I am giving myself time. Perhaps the weight won't even bother me once it has 'settled', perhaps I'll lose some of it. I'm not fat. I just see the recent gain as a sign that I need to start taking better care of myself. (I'm now at 62kg and 1m77). 

And actually, this is the first time in my life I am not completely freaking out about weight gain. I am not defined by my looks. I'm most upset about not being able to wear some of my favourite clothes and possibly having to buy new bras. (I have a small band large cup problem)

So that is my plan to continue on my journey from anorexic to just plain ass kicking. 

Image_thumb
45 Posts
Jul 28, 2014 3:47pm
via Android

From what I read
1. You want to lose the remaining fat which I'm presuming is not a lot
And
2. You want to gain muscle for a 'toned' body.

Firstly let me address one statement you made. Technically, starving does lead to weight loss. By the same logic dehydration also leads to weight loss and other diseases also lead to weight loss.
You want to lose weight by LOSING FAT. And here's two reason why starving is a bad way to do that.
1. You're already thin. Starving will make your body burn your muscles for energy because you have little to no stored fat. And more importantly you're just eating like 1000 calories.
Your body is like 'Hmmm there's not enough food...and there's no fat in the reserves....fuck it...BURN ALL THE MUSCLES!' and I'm presuming you don't have a lot of muscle either. Sooner than later you're gonna run out of muscle too and that's when it'll really turn ugly. God forbid this should happen but if it does you can't eat or work your way back to a healthy lifestyle. You'll likely be on meds or hospitalized being fed an IV drip to teach your body to be sane again.
2. Starving WILL deprive you of nutrition and other vitamins. You're just opening the gate for a host of new ailments and deficiencies. Not a good thing.

So now...You wanna lose fat.

BMR, Basal metabolic rate. This is the number of calories your body burns doing what it does (digestion, breathing, pumping blood, thinking, cell division and a billion other activities). This averages at about 1200. 1200 calories just for your body to stay alive. Not for working out or any other physical activity. Just to stay alive. And no, your brain does not need 1200 calories. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Your brain only takes about 20% of your BMR. Let's say you have zero muscle and zero fat and you only consume 800 calories your BODY WILL BEGIN TO SHUT DOWN BECAUSE IT NEEDS 1200 CALORIES. So you need to eat your BMR! No matter what. If your BMR IS 3000, you need to eat it. You WILL not gain weight.

So I suggest you build muscle and THEN lose the fat.

To do this...You need to eat smart. Eat your BMR + enough carbs and proteins to compliment your workout and help build the muscle. This extra muscle will help your burn the remaining fat faster than if you didn't have any muscle mass. PRE AMD POST WORKOUT MEALS ARE VERY IMPORTANT especially on your case.
Carb rich food for pre workout and protein rich for post.

I've already explained this on my forum GET SMART. LOSE WEIGHT. But I'll write the gist of it on here. I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU READ THE WHOLE OF IT. I'll teach you how to calculate your BMR. Whatever you believe, weight loss and weight gain is governed by ONE equation.

Energy in -  Energy out = weight gain/weight loss (calorie deficit)

Energy in = calories you eat per day

Energy out = Calories burned by BMR + WORKOUT + INCIDENTAL EXERCISE.

If you have a steady calorie deficit, you will lose weight. It'll take time though. Skinny people have to work harder to shed fat than overweight people. But persist.

The most important thing is to stay healthy!

Hope this helps :)
Cheers.

300x300_thumb
168 Posts
Aug 1, 2014 7:03am
via Android

Just smoke some weed then you'll get the munchies

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51