Help! Pushups cause back caving!!

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Oct 13, 2014 5:41am
via Android

So I'm in the Army, I've always struggled with pushups during the PT test... I've gotten my arms strong enough at this point, the only thing is my stomach keeps sagging into the floor... I know about squeezing your butt and abs together when doing them to hold your core but I can't keep it tight. Any ideas? Does anyone else have this problem? My test is in a week and I only have to get to 34 pushups in 2 minutes because of my age bracket, but that seems impossible! HELP!

13 Oct
13 Oct
Practice by doing full planks for as long as you can, take a short break and repeat for 3-4 rounds and keep doing what you're doing to maintain arm strength. You have to combat that mental monster that's saying you can't do it because you can...its only 2 minutes!!
13 Oct
Oh yeah, a former Drill Instructor used to put his hat under our body and dare us to touch it while doing pushups....you might get an image in your minds eye to help you avoid a sagging back, lots of power in what the mind can help us accomplish!
13 Oct
Hi can you help me
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Oct 13, 2014 6:39am
via Android

You should try to do planks, in order to improve core stability. There are lots of plank workouts in skimble.

Juanba

13 Oct
Image_thumb
30 Posts
Oct 13, 2014 9:21am
via Android

Hm watch rocky movie,its the best motivation :P

Image_thumb
64 Posts
Oct 13, 2014 11:37am
via Android

I agree with everyone....  strengthen your core... plank is a great place to start.  I just did a 21 day plank challenge that really helped.  Lots of good yoga stretches and core work also...  Keep us posted.  You can do this...!!!

Oct 13, 2014 3:13pm
via Android

Icon_missing_thumb
7 Posts
Oct 13, 2014 6:42pm
via Android

My suggestion would be to strengthen your core and practice getting to the 34 pushups. Practice every other day.

26 Nov
Keep trying you may get to do a few more every other day
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Oct 13, 2014 7:05pm
via iOS
Alternate your speed on the push ups as well. A mixture of slow and fast ones.
13 Oct
Speed and have positioning...
13 Oct
Hand... damn autocorrect LOL

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51