Let's talk about Body Image!

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
19 Posts
Apr 15, 2015 2:13am
via iOS
I am sure that everyone has had comments made towards them that were derogatory and made them feel less than beautiful. I am naturally incredibly skinny and I recently had multiple comments made towards me that were shocking. I was told that I was gross, and too skinny and that I needed to eat more food because I was ugly. I was told that I looked anorexic and like a cancer patient. (Which was shocking because those are illnesses and do NOT determine someone's beauty or worth) I told that said person that it was impolite to make any comments on a person's weight. They turned to me and said "No, it's rude to call someone fat. I would never do that." At that moment I began thinking, Why has society determined that it is rude to judge someone because they are overweight, but acceptable to judge someone if they are skinny. There are "body image" anthems, that contain the lyrics "Skinny b*tches can get out." Or social media posts that state that "Men want a steak, not a pile of bones". Our culture has created an atmosphere that to make ourselves feel better, we must bring other's down.This is disturbing. If we continue down this path, we'll never have a world where everyone is confident and proud to be who they are. It is time to realize that EVERYONE is beautiful. Tall, short, skinny, overweight. I am done with people breaking the confidence of those who overweight; of those who are skinny, short, Chinese, Native American, Brazilian, or African. Every single living being has the right to be proud for who they are, and it is time that as a society we allow them to do so. I vow to not allow body shaming or shaming of any sorts to occur. I hope that you choose to take the vow too.
15 Apr
Very well said.
15 Apr
I agree a friend of mine is very thin 98lbs and is 5'5 she has been shamed so much at one point she went out of state to get medicine that would make her eat tons of food and while eating she would cry saying she couldn't stop eating and if she did she would always be ugly and skinny. I tried showing her that being that thin she could model she is now after years but for so long she hated herself
15 Apr
How old are you?
16 Apr
Mada M- I am 17 years old. Veronica- What a heartbreaking story! I am happy that your friend has been able to overcome her issues and to come to peace with her body. I have felt the same way your had a short time ago. I was insecure and felt I was shapeless twig. It recently dawned on me that I am way more beautiful than I have ever thought and I hope that people can begin to notice this in themselves too.
16 Apr
Yes but it's social media that causes that the celebrities and their plastic surgery or how black women now get bleached to be lighter like raven symone it's wrong I think everyone is beautiful big or small light or dark. It's our own job to make each other feel beautiful instead of putting each other down
Image_thumb
821 Posts
Apr 15, 2015 2:57am
via Android

I concur. We as a society need to stop buying into media propaganda and start loving our bodies. There is a video here
http://bodyimagemovement.com.au/
I tell everyone they need to watch it.

16 Apr
Thanks for the Link :) I'll definitely be sharing that with all my friends.
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Apr 15, 2015 7:58am
via iOS
I agree 100%. You would never call someone fat to their face, yet people comment on how 'tiny' or 'too skinny' you are. I've been losing a lot of weight recently (in a healthy manner, I might add) but I keep getting the 'you're getting too thin' and the like. You are beautiful regardless of your size. Enough with the body shaming. It's okay to be who you are. If you want to be skinny, fine. As long as you are healthy nothing else matters :)
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Apr 15, 2015 9:21am
via Android

I'm in the same position as you Erin, im naturally skinny ( UK size 6/8) no matter what I eat I don't gain wait. Been called anorexic and unhealthy looking way too many times people just don't think it's hurtful when it really is!!
Told my friends and partner I was going to the gym to build muscle so it'd give my arms/shoulders etc more shape but society thinks the gym is purely to lose weight and nothing else, so they strongly disagree. How am I supposed to feel confident about myself if I get told these things but hated if I try to change it?! It's ridiculous!

15 Apr
Laura, I think you are gorgeous and healthy looking! People can be so rude and hateful. It's reverse prejudice. People think it's okay to hate on thin. Humans come in all shapes and sizes; we're not meant to look the same! We need to feel good about ourselves and society makes it very difficult. Being over a certain size or under a certain size is deemed undesirable. We should be building eachother up instead of tearing eachother down. Body shaming is really the last form of 'acceptable' prejudice. If you comment on another's race, religion, etc. it is not right....
15 Apr
You Look awesome!!! They're just jealous!
15 Apr
Thank you lovelys!
Image_thumb
382 Posts
Apr 15, 2015 10:39am
via Android

I can tell you people do call fat people fat to their face. I don't know how many times strangers have said that I'm fat, disgusting etc and this in real life, not hidden behind a screen. I acknowledge that skinny people get rude and hurtful comments too, but I don't think skinny or average built people could ever even imagine how fat people are treated in our society.

With that said, a couple of years I made the decision to NEVER comment on anyone's looks again. Not people on TV, not people I see on the town, not friends or family, neither out loud or to myself. I don't review people's looks and I don't give compliments on looks. I don't want to be part of the social game where you judge people by their looks rather than who they are (although I've had to bend a bit on this principle here on Skimble, because people deserve praise for the hard work they put in to transform their bodies). I don't participate in the "I'm so fat I need to diet" or "my nose is so big and ugly" conversations.

What I soon realized after making this decision was how much of the social interaction that revolves around looks. People constantly talk about how they look, how others look, how they compare to them, how they would want to look etc etc etc. And they get REALLY uncomfortable if you don't participate! I also find it sad that some friends automatically say "wow you look so good, you must have lost weight" every time we meet, no matter how I look. What's wrong with "it's nice to see you and get to spend time with you"?

I could go on about this forever, it's a favorite topic of mine, but I'm gonna end by saying that among other positive things that has come out of this for me, a strong confidence and positive body image are the best.

15 Apr
I think you are beautiful Anna! :) I love your spirit and confidence too. I wish I could borrow it.
16 Apr
You have no idea how irritated I get when people comment on my appearance. I feel like that is the only thing they notice. I go to track practice and people immediately comment on my slim build. I am at track practice to improve my technique, not to constantly feel so insecure that I can't concentrate on my training. But that it how I end up feeling. It is hard to be confident when you are surrounded by judgement.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51