Intimidated by bros

9 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Aug 4, 2016 5:34pm
via Android

Hello all.
I'm from London, UK.
I've just started working out, like, this week.
A friend of mine just got diagnosed with lung cancer, she will find out soon if it's terminal. Partly because of that I've decided to really focus on my health this year and try to get strong (I'm 42 and a good weight at last, after years of up and down on the scales but never quite down as far as I'd like).

I'm really intimidated at my little gym though. It's always full of guys. They *never* put the weights back after they've used them. I feel crowded out. I just don't like the atmosphere.
There's no where else close enough to go instead, and I do like this place because it's primarily a spa in a hotel so the pool and Jacuzzi and sauna are lovely for afterwards.

What do you do in the gym when a big guy is working out and taking up all the space? Does anyone have any tricks? Like, do you say hi, or ignore them? Do you have anything you tell yourself in your head to feel brave? Do you feel intimidated too or is it just me?

Would love some supportive suggestions and feedback.
X

Image_thumb
9 Posts
Aug 6, 2016 12:47am
via iOS
Look up Red Delta Program. Matt is incredibly well versed on getting in shape and staying healthy without costing you anything unless you buy his book 3.99$  on Amazon. Fitness Independence. It's worth it and his advise has helped me far more then this app or anything else I've tried before. Btw it's about calisthenics so NO GYM!!
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Aug 6, 2016 7:39am
via Android

The gym isn't any special place. I talk to whoever I think are cool people. The bro types of dudes are just guys. Some of them might be douchebag, but most will be relaxed ppl. So why not just make a chat and or ask them for some space.

Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Aug 6, 2016 6:22pm
Hey. Thanks for the reply but I don't think you really understood what I was trying to say. This is a place for women to talk right? "Women's Locker Room Forum A place where women can talk freely about issues without men" I guess this is an example of why this space is needed.
07 Aug
ah. these forums. Because of how things are set up, it's almost useless to browse forums by checking each sub-forum, so many of us got used to just browsing the active topics, but when you do that there is never any indication which sub-forum the post is from, so the men's and women's forums have never really been what they should/could have been. Browsing from active topics, there was no easy way to tell from your post whether you were a man or woman, which would def change the dynamics of the situation, and the whole "without men" concept of...
07 Aug
I understood perfectly what you were trying to say.
Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Aug 7, 2016 8:53pm
Ahh! That makes a lot more sense. (In that it makes no sense at all to arrange a site like that, grrr.) Yes, explains a lot. Thanks so much for clarifying.
Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Aug 10, 2016 8:54am
No offence, but I don't think you did. Not going by your reply. Is it possible that you could have misunderstood and even now not realise that you misunderstood?
10 Aug
11 Aug
Aah, you're infallible. Right. Look. You do realise that you're demonstrating *exactly* the bro type behaviours that my original post was about? Like, intimidating, aggressive, unfriendly. That's how you're coming across to me. That's what I was asking for help dealing with. This is why I think your reply wasn't helpful. It's fine to be like that, but it's also important to realise the effect you have on other people.
11 Aug
I made a honest reply on how I handle those kind of situations. It might not have been totally helpful to you. Or exactly what you might have looked for. But atleast I gave a reply on it with what kinda works for me. All I got for the effort was about on how I don't understand the situation you are in, and some other stuff. I respond accordingly. Cheers!
Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Aug 10, 2016 8:56am
Gaaa. This website is so bad! Can't seem to post replies to replies, just to the OP. Sigh.
10 Aug
the reply button, even though it is on each post, is a general function, posting a reply to the whole thread. the comment button is particular to each post and will post inside, underneath the post, like I'm doing now
11 Aug
Wonderful. Thank you so much.
Image_thumb
231 Posts
Aug 11, 2016 5:43pm
via Android

Ok well, I kinda get the awkwardness your feeling, but it's not like there gonna jump you or whatever. Just be cool with them. If you think you need to talk to them or something, just make up some weird conversation , kinda like ask them how a machine works or something. You can motivate them and chances are they won't mind you. If you don't like the mess that they make, than don't clean it up. Let them get themselves in trouble. I mean you can talk to the manager if you feel things are getting out of hang. Just say excuse me and smile. You need to give respect to get it. Another good idea is to bring a friend or find a workout partner so you don't feel so out of place. If all else fails, just be polite and smile and mine your own business. Hopefully it won't get to the point were you would need to talk to the manager of the gym, but just be polite and encouraging.

Image_thumb
231 Posts
Aug 11, 2016 5:46pm
via Android

Oh, and lol, I'm sorry for posting here, I honestly had no intention of posting in the woman's locker . I was just on active topics.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51