Working out through depression?

10 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Aug 4, 2016 8:43pm
via iOS
Usually working out helps me feel better and more energized, but there are sometimes when it's all I can do to get out of bed. How can I stay motivated to work out, even at times that I feel incredibly bad?
05 Aug
Try to join one of the teams on here or if you search workouts there are ones you can do in bed and they actually give you a good burn. So on days when you just don't have the motivation try one of them.
23 Aug
i know this is old, i suffer with severe generalized anxiety, which usually sets off depressive episodes. i used to work out late at night at a 24 hour gym, that way my anxiety wouldnt keep me from going. keeping motivated was hard, but remeber you are allowed rest days and it it last longer you can always get back on the wagon. everyones journey is different.
Image_thumb
231 Posts
Aug 5, 2016 2:21am
via Android

You should find someone to motivate you, and help you out

Image_thumb
231 Posts
Aug 5, 2016 2:21am
via Android

Become a Christian

06 Aug
Pretty sure this is a work out app you should stop trying to force religion on everyone.
06 Aug
Uh, is fighting depression part of working out? This is a free country, if I want to preach I have the freedom of speach, and if this is offensive to you or anybody else, you are welcome to leave.
06 Aug
Actually yeah working out and being active does fight depression. I'm just saying everyone is entitled to their beliefs.
06 Aug
Well so does Christianity and God.
04 Oct
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Aug 5, 2016 1:49pm
via iOS
Sorry. I was even more depressed when I was a Christian than I am now.
05 Aug
You must know God truly. He can forgive you for anything. Read the four apostles, Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John. That always lifts my spirits. Be clean from your sin, and the feeling of being free from death and such should trump your depression. Happiness is only for a little bit, but joy is eternal in a way.
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Aug 8, 2016 10:10pm
via iOS
Why would I desire to "escape from death"? For me, living is the hard part, much more stressful than not existing.
09 Aug
I know how you feel, my best friend wished he never existed in the first place; but you got to understand, that death will happen. And you're eaither going to two places, eternity in joy and safety and relaxation, Heaven, or eternity in torment, being unsafe, slaughter, tortured, fear, Hell. You still have time to choose and ask for forgivness of your sins to God. You must know, that God is understanding. Jesus was on this earth and experienced what we experience. He never sinned though, but he had to die even though he was innocent! You'd think that we'd...
09 Aug
When you die, you don't non-exist... You either go to Heaven or Hell. You can look up people who have somehow gone to Heaven for a short period of time, or even people who have visited Hell or gone close supposably. Years ago scientist stuck a something scope to the ground to listen what was heard way beneath the ground. The misteariously hear SCREAMS from beneath. Were this links to science and such God knows. We need to be aware and conscious of our lives. Make sure we're doing what God wants us to.
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Mar 22, 2017 3:23pm
via Android

I am also struggling with major depression & hope that starting an exercise routine will give me more energy & motivation.  And I am a Christian, reading my Bible & Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer.  I also like to watch Joyce Meyer on TV because it helps me feel better about myself and life in general.  Good luck to all.

16708378_10155167334604015_579738242296556068_n
2 Posts
Mar 28, 2017 1:35am
via iOS
I have depression too. When I can't muster the energy to workout, I work on managing the guilt that comes with it. I don't make myself workout, but I work really hard to talk myself through the feelings of guilt and shame and accepting that fitness and health is a long journey and depression just creates bumps in the road. 
28 Mar
yes..right
28 Mar
That actually helps a lot. I've been getting better about staying on a pretty consistent schedule recently. I've been trying to do at least 30 minutes of activity every day. The main thing is just working up the motivation to do it, because once I've finished my workout, I feel better during the rest of the day.
30 Mar
i suffer through the same exact thing. i cannot get motivated to work out and lose weight. just got my a1c results and it's not good. not bad yet though. but i can't let it get to that point. let's see if it'll motivate me to do something. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who experiences this.
07 Apr
Well as of recently, working out has been the only thing motivating me to even get up most mornings. Beyond that, I'm at a bit of a low point right now, just trying to get through the rest of this semester of college.
13 Apr
One of the things I've found to help is going for a walk. I know sometimes that's even hard. And if it's really hard to get motivated, do something simple and easy and nice for yourself like a cup of tea or a bath or something that makes you feel good. We can only do the best we possibly can every day. Don't let society or over-achievers get you down. Remember it's one foot infront of the other. Also be mindful of your mind chatter being too harsh. That can always spiral out. I find yoga to be very soothing...
Image_thumb
2 Posts
May 28, 2017 7:09pm
via Android

I too struggle with depression. I haven't been able to work in 7 months (since my back surgery) and my restrictions are holding me back from doing much activity. Most days I sleep 12-16 hours, other days I don't sleep at all. I'm trying too find a balance and motivation. Knowing that I am not alone really helps.

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
May 28, 2017 11:22pm
via iOS
Hi!
I hear you and I'm sorry for your pain. 
Depression isn't just mental, it can be physical as well-that heavy stuck feeling you have that makes your body ache-that's depression. The mind is so strong but can truly work against us sometimes.

I would recommend 
a) going to a gym or yoga place or Pilates place that you really like, this will motivate you and you will become excited to see the friends you make there as motivation. Finding cute workout clothes also gives you an incentive!
b) try yoga-it focuses on breathing and teaches you to find your center-sounds odd until you learn what it feels like, you can tune into your body and learn to turn the negative thoughts off.
Meditation will also help.
c) W A T E R 
It helps you regulate your mood, especially ph balanced types.

Just remember you are not alone, you are loved and you will get through this!
You can do it!!!
Image_thumb
2 Posts
May 29, 2017 2:11am
via Android

Thank you for the encouraging words. I drink tons of water daily. However, I am unable to join any classes at the moment due to my lack of employment. Though I have resigned myself to push forward and move more. I'm going to take it one day at a time.

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,229 topics, 38,308 posts

Motivation & Support

8,518 topics, 41,752 posts

App Updates

15 topics, 49 posts

Ask the Pros

721 topics, 1,835 posts

Workouts and Programs