Protein shakes?

14 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
Apr 2, 2013 5:11pm
via Android

Most of my friends drink protein shakes before they workout. Should I? If I do, which one am I supposed to drink?

02 Apr
Drink a glass of milk before your work out then a protein shake after or toward the end of your workout it will help woth recovery
02 Apr
R u can mix yogurt and milk with ur shake
02 Apr
Yeah! Rhe reason I say milk before is cuz it takes your body 7 hours to absorb all the protein in the milk so it will fuel your muscles as you work out!
02 Apr
Ok i know when my ex was training he would mix milk, yogurt,and his shakes before he went. I eat yogurt after but i dont use shakes
02 Apr
Its better for recovery to have a fast absorbing protein like whey instead of the diary protein from the yogurt
Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Apr 2, 2013 5:41pm
via Android

I don't. Don't think it's necessary unless you're body building & doing the whole macro-nutrient thing. (I'm no expert in this area so just speak from experience)

02 Apr
I agree with you. I think it just giving you too much sugar. Unless you are doing long hour and intense sport its not good to drinking them. Lots of sugar and fats. Try some fruits instead :-)
Image_thumb
60 Posts
Apr 2, 2013 6:53pm
via Android

I drink whey protein shakes. I'm trying hard to eat my macros but a shake is a great way to consume around 25g of the protein I need quickly. I usually have one mixed with water or with yoghurt and blueberries at breakfast and again before my workout. If I have one late on the evening I have it with milk as the protein absorbs throughout your nights sleep.

Image_thumb
22 Posts
Apr 2, 2013 6:59pm
via iOS
Visalus is a nutritional shake mix that replaces a meal. 12g of protein in a serving. Not counting the 8-12oz glass of milk with it. If you were to drink 2% milk with it, that would be 20g of protein
Image_thumb
102 Posts
Apr 2, 2013 7:11pm
via Android

I only do shakes after my workouts if I am not going to be eating right away.

Image_thumb
32 Posts
Apr 2, 2013 7:15pm
via Android

Taste great, work terrible.  Might as well just make a smoothie or something.

Image_thumb
32 Posts
Apr 2, 2013 11:59pm
via Android

Im not really sure how this works for girls lol protein is protein, so you can buy a cheaper brand like body fortress or six star whey protein and get the same results as more expensive brands. You might want to buy fish oil pills and flax seed or omega 3 pills to aid in better absorption of protein.

You can take protein in the morning, before a workout, after workout and before bed. Whey protein absorbs fast and is good for after workout, to aid in muscle recovery and casein proteins absorbs slower, so you can rake it before bed to build more muscle while you sleep.

If you take protein just to take it, you could gain alot of fat.

For a girl, Im not sure if you should get a protein powder with alot of protein but I could just be an idiot for saying that lol

03 Apr
Your comments about girls and protein doesn't make sense to me unless you have a reason for it? We're all human and most of our bodies function in pretty much the same way
03 Apr
....wow..
Image_thumb
32 Posts
Apr 3, 2013 12:17pm
via Android

Doesnt make sense?. Are you trying to bulk up like guys do?.

03 Apr
I need the protein to help my muscles grow and repair and recover just like you do whether bulking or shredding. Right now I'm trying to reduce body fat and increase lean muscle mass to be strong and sculpt my body! You don't need to be bulking or weight lifting to need protein.
Image_thumb
32 Posts
Apr 3, 2013 4:53pm
via Android

Looks like you got me Natasha lol Im no expert at this, just wanted to help her out with some insight. Sorry if I came off as rude or a smartass

03 Apr
I'm not an expert either but I've been learning a lot and doing my research over the last few months. No apology needed but apology accepted! *gulps protein shake*
Image_thumb
32 Posts
Apr 3, 2013 10:31pm

hey share some of that protein shake....Im running low on my whey....

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Apr 5, 2013 5:37pm
via Android
Image_thumb
10 Posts
Apr 5, 2013 5:50pm
via Android

Fruit and vegetable smoothies

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Apr 5, 2013 6:54pm
via Android

I drink a protein shake immediately after each workout! And just make sure to have a little something, like a banana, in my belly when i go to the gym for energy

Image_thumb
34 Posts
Apr 6, 2013 3:16am
via Android

I have a protein shake everyday no matter if i work out or not. Lots of fruits and veggies and fish and chicken. Its just as important to get ur protein on ur off days as it is wen u rest. Ur rest days r wen ur building muscle the most. From wat iv learned anyway.

08 Apr
I am trying to tone my body and gain weight as well. I just bought the Bolthouse farms Protein Plus shake will this be beneficial to me in any way?

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51