Shin splints !!

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
May 13, 2015 5:42am
via Android

Any good stretches to prevent these. ...

13 May
As a suffer of shin splints for years the only thing that helps prevent them is moderation. Some yoga leg stretchs will help but other then that nothing much. Just do not push your body to badly or you will get injured and have to wait a few weeks to heal.
13 May
When I ran track we were told to tap our feet when sitting. Tap up and down and also side to side. It helps prevent them and helps them to heal! Good luck!
14 May
What Amy said. Do the tapping standing up before starting anything else, then warm up thoroughly before walking, running, etc. Only thing I've found that helps prevent them.
16 May
Tapping each foot on the floor one at a time is supposed to help .:-)
Image_thumb
39 Posts
May 14, 2015 2:14am
via Android

Stretch, stretch, stretch!!! Gotta stretch the gastrocnemius.  Take a step fwd then bend the back leg (down so your glutes are closer to floor) and keep the fwd leg straight. Keep that leg extended for 15 sec. Then lift your toes toward the ceiling and try to touch your toes with the leg still extended for 15 sec. Switch legs.

Image_thumb
953 Posts
May 14, 2015 4:14am
via Android

I made this workout cuz I read these heel walks could help. Not sure if it's helping, maybe i need to do it more often....

Ouch Shin Splints!

For me I also feel that sitting at a desk with no shoes on a hard floor aggravates my shin splints. I set a pad down to rest feet on.

I've read a lot of stuff on the internet about how to prevent & treat shin splints... Rest, Ice, anti inflammatory meds, not stopping completely but easing more slowly into running (the rule of tens), paying attention to your stride (shorter stride, landing on middle of feet rather than heel or toes), stretching of shins by sitting with feet under you & leaning back with butt on foot, tipping leg up.

I have yet to consistently enough try them all since my pain comes and goes and I'm not really a runner anyway.

Good luck.

14 May
Also, if you wear things like flip flops, where you have to grip the shoe with your toes to keep it on, this messes up your natural step and can cause problems.
Image_thumb
86 Posts
May 14, 2015 12:31pm
via Android

stretches is a good way to help, but shin splits can also be caused by the shoe your running in. Just because you are wearing a sports shoe, doesnt mean its good for running. might wanna check and see if its meant for running? if not, nike free runs are very good! :)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51