Can you lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
145 Posts
Jun 11, 2016 6:06pm
via iOS
I mean, people say you can't because you can't be at a calorie deficit when trying to gain muscle, while others say you can cut fat and build muscle at the same time. I'm at 1,200 calories and do cardio to lose weight. I also lift weights and feel myself getting stronger .. But is it possible that I'm gaining muscle?
11 Jun
Yes u can gain both at the same time if u do the right whole body workout
Image_thumb
215 Posts
Jun 11, 2016 10:18pm

If you want to build muscles, you need an overspill of energy, especially protein. As long as you burn more calories than you eat, your body is taking (saved) fat just to get enough energy for the metabolism scenes. This means, in general you can't lose weight and buld muscles simultaneously.More than that, if you eat much too less,your body will burn protein too. This will be taken from protein circulating in your blood and can't be used to gain muscles.

To lose weight you have to burn more than you eat. This process will activate hormons and your body gets into a catabolic state. To gain muscles, you need an anabolic state, which will be activated by hormons which are opposed to the catabloic hormons.

So it's not possible to have both simultaneously.

But you can swtich between both states even in a day. For example, you have dinner at 6pm. You don't eat anything else... in the morning after, first you do is running for 45min. Your body will burn fat (you may not run too fast) and the state is catabolic. After running, you eat protein, some carbs/fat and make sure to get enough vitamin and minerals. But the amount of calories is still less than you have burned since midnight. For lunch you eat healthy again, still less than you have burned in total. In the afternoon you have some protein before you do a full body workout or using weights to build muscles. Now you eat more, to have an overspill of calories and to gain muscles.

Just know, it's easier to focus on one thing for some time and then on the other thing.
"If you want to chase two rabbits, you will get none of them"

Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Jun 11, 2016 10:24pm
via Android

You can if all the circumstances are right.

It's not a guaranteed thing and it will be easier with for some than most.

A few minimal requirements are eating high in protein. Not going too crazy in your kcal deficit and heavy resistance training.

You can increase your fat free mass while dropping bodyweight.

A few thing will make it harder:
Being an ready training individual.
Being low in fat mass.

Image_thumb
821 Posts
Jun 13, 2016 4:12am
via Android

I'll keep this short and simple

For the most part. No. The 1st year you start working out and if you are consistent with both training, nutrition and sleeping. Yes you will experience both muscle gan and fat loss. After your 1st year it will become harder and progress will seem like it has halted, purely from an aesthetic point of view. You should prioritize your goals and pick one or the other.

*this is my advice, from my own experiences.  Also from everything I have read and researched*

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51