Any vegetarians?

33 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
27 Posts
Jul 23, 2013 6:36am
via iOS
Just wondering if I'm the only one. I know it helps me keep my calories balanced (: just gotta watch my iron. And YES, I get plenty of protein!
23 Jul
I'm one too!
23 Jul
Sweet! Where do you get your recipes?
23 Jul
I'm a vegan tooo
05 Aug
My friend is one
06 Aug
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jul 23, 2013 8:40pm
Actually no, I was going to ask you the same! I just started about two weeks ago. I eat Morning star meals,they're all vegitarian.
06 Aug
Those arnt healthy
Image_thumb
27 Posts
Jul 23, 2013 8:48pm
via iOS
Oh that's awesome! I eat a lot of Morningstar too but lately I've been trying to make recipes cause it's been six years for me and its getting a little old not to mention that stuff is processed and I'm trying to get away from that! Let me give you some links to sites I use for recipes!
Image_thumb
27 Posts
Jul 23, 2013 8:53pm
via iOS
http://vegweb.com/recipes
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/
http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes-galore/
http://herbivoracious.com/
http://www.chooseveg.com/
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Jul 23, 2013 8:56pm
via Android

Oh my gosh thank you so much!
If I find any others ill be sure to tell you!

Image_thumb
27 Posts
Jul 23, 2013 9:04pm
via iOS
Of course (: check out the whole foods market app and allrecipes.com vegetarian section too! And Pinterest always has some good stuff. Good luck! Let me know how it goes (:
Image_thumb
19 Posts
Jul 23, 2013 9:46pm
via iOS
I'm vegan ^.^
Image_thumb
27 Posts
Jul 23, 2013 9:59pm
via iOS
That's awesome! I try to eat vegan as much as possible but it's so freakin hard! Everything has dairy in it! I definitely plan on making the full switch someday (:
23 Jul
That's awesome ^~^ I hope you do change to vegan some day. I know!!! It's so hard for me to find vegan products around here & the food can be expensive
23 Jul
Yeah the pricing is ridiculous too! Do you make food from scratch often?
Image_thumb
144 Posts
Jul 24, 2013 5:00am

Im lacto-ovo veg. You are not alone :).  Yes i try to avoid the more processed meat-substitues. They r easy and tasty but living on them means eating lots of processed stuff. Try seitan if you really miss meaty. Its freakily-meaty. I know vegans who find it too meat-ish. Receipe ideas at:

Deliciouslyella.com

Snarkychickpea.com

And sassyradish.com (this has some good veg but also meat so be warned)

24 Jul
Seitan is so good! My mom and I made a dish with it for thanksgiving this year and brought it to my boyfriends family dinner and it was a hit even with omnivores (: I do find it a tad too convincing after awhile though! Thanks for the recipe sites!!!
P2160005_thumb
43 Posts
Aug 1, 2013 4:05am
via Android

I'm a vegetarian too. Its hard to find something to eat other than salad in my house. My parents dont support my decision. I'm excited to look at these websites. :)

01 Aug
Sorry to hear about your parents! It gets easier. I got lucky with mine. I hope the recipes help (:
02 Aug
Bummer about only salads though - that's not exactly a wide choice. Can you cook something just for you and then eat it when you want? Like boil some lentils or quinoa, then sprinkle it on your salads or top them with nuts? Salads are OK but you don't want to subsist just on lettuce. Or what if you offer to help cook part of the family dinner and you just eat more of it?
02 Aug
Those are really good ideas!!
03 Aug
Those are good ideas, thank you. I'm kinda suck with just the food they buy, they refuse to buy and food they won't eat. I could get them to buy ingredients for a vegetarian dish and make it for everybody though. :)
Image_thumb
78 Posts
Aug 1, 2013 4:08am
via Android

Just wondering, why would you want to be a vegetarian?

01 Aug
Lots of reasons! Number one is my health. Number two is the horrendous state of factory farms. Number three is the environment. And number four is its a lifestyle I've found happiness and success with for six years
02 Aug
Sorry, but I must say this. 1. Health- It is a proven fact that meat is good for you. Some are better than others, but it has lots of nutritional value. 2. Factory Farms- If you don't like the idea of a factory farm, there are organic meats that are pasture bred (they are out on their own). 3. Environment- What does eating only plants do for the environment? 4. Happiness- I have nothing negative to say about being happy. If this is going to far, please tell me. I am not trying to offend anyone, I am just stating...
02 Aug
Hi Jonathan. I was born and raised on meat, but now I eat this way for my health and because now it tastes better to me. Having suffered high blood pressure and high cholesterol for 20+ years, I followed my wife into a veg lifestyle, and amazed my doc by coming entirely off one medicine (for gastric reflux) and dropping my blood pressure (to better than it was 20 years ago) and vastly improving my triglicerides to help my overall cholesterol. I got those results for me, and I attriute it to a big diet change, but hey, that may...
02 Aug
I started this thread to talk about nutrition and recipes not debate the merits of vegetarianism. I'm not saying anything bad about your diet so you can keep your opinions about mine to yourself. Thank you for your input Jason! (:
02 Aug
Meat isnt whats good for you its protien. Ive been trying to b vegitarian for a year now because killing a animal to feed us isnt nice to animals. Im a animal lover.
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Aug 1, 2013 11:32pm
via iOS
It's the same in my house too. My whole family is hardcore meat eaters. And I'm like the "black sheep", sorta, because I choose  to be vegetarian.
02 Aug
Aw I can't imagine that! I hope they get used to it! Good luck!
03 Aug
Same with me. And none of my family supports my decision.
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Aug 2, 2013 4:41am
via Android

me

Image_thumb
144 Posts
Aug 2, 2013 5:11am

Speaking of receipes. Tonight we did a favorite around here. Carroll Shelby's White Chili Mix - then used the Yves Ground veggie protein, cook with diced tomatoes, white beans, and serve with tortilla chips and avocado. YUMM! My kids pack this away by the bowlful. :)

02 Aug
That sounds sooo good!
Image_thumb
34 Posts
Aug 2, 2013 5:13pm
via iOS
I want to be.
Image_thumb
34 Posts
Aug 2, 2013 7:30pm
via iOS
I basically am because I haven't eaten any meat in 9 months :) lol
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Aug 3, 2013 12:57am
via iOS
I ve been one my whole life :)  m 30.! 

Its hard to find stuff to eat when you travel or go out but there's always something. 

One thing i learnt from my cousins several yrs ago is to  make sure i buy everything organic.Other stuff is treated with way too many chemicals. 
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Aug 6, 2013 1:58am
via Android

Vegan here. Real big on raw foods, rarely any processed food. Transitioned with tofu, boca and Morningstar but can't stand it now. Too many unnecessary ingredients. Love my vegan and raw foods cook books. Juicer and dehydrator are a must. Vegetarian son and daughter as well, from birth.

06 Aug
Jayou - sorry I mean to comment but hit reply. My post below is to you - what cookbooks do you recommend from your collection that tend to be fast and kid-friendly?
06 Aug
Vegan soul food guide to the galaxy by Afya Ibomu, Heal Thyself Natural Living Cook Book by Diane Ciccone and Eat Raw, Eat Well by Douglas McNish are my go to books but google has always been a quick tool for something new ans spontaneous.
06 Aug
18 Oct
Hey im trying to do vegetarian maybe vegan, i was wondering.though about the complications with pregnancy, and kids eating like that too, did the doctor s give you a hassle for that? Im curious as to how from birth kids can be vegetarian too ,still be healthy and nourished
22 Oct
Hey Laury, sorry it took so long to respond. My children are healthy and happy, no hassle from the doctor and if I knew then what I know now my children would have been born at home. To me doctors don't specialize in nutrition they wanna talk synthetics and drugs but that's another thread. Try vegan if you can, and raw foods for a while to break cravings.
Icon_missing_thumb
9 Posts
Aug 6, 2013 3:27am
via Android

I'm not a vegan but i do love my collerd greens and veggies!

Image_thumb
144 Posts
Aug 6, 2013 4:28am

With kids I think from birth is the best way to do it - our youngest has food allergies since 2 mos, so has never tasted milk, butter, eggs, etc. Guess what - he doesn't miss it. My oldest is probably naturally vegetarian - has never really enjoyed meat. What are your favorite cookbooks that the kids like and have short prep times? We have Vegenomicon but lots of those receipes are quite time consuming.

06 Aug
Most recipes are gonna be time consuming, but are well worth it. When i use the dehydrator i have to prepare so much because it takes hours to dehydrate and ten minutes after they are done, they are gone. Lol, so patience is key. After you get the recipes down you'll cut down on time. Good luck and keep the youths healthy.
06 Aug
Thank you! I will look up the books and think about a dehydrator. Would be better to do that myself than buy it mass produced I gotta think!
Image_thumb
26 Posts
Aug 10, 2013 10:30am
via Android

Why and how can you be vegan ?

Icon_missing_thumb
13 Posts
Aug 10, 2013 7:48pm
via Android

I have 50

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Aug 10, 2013 8:52pm
via iOS
I'm vegan
Image_thumb
96 Posts
Aug 10, 2013 11:02pm
via Android

I don't eat meat.. For 13 years? Or longer.
And I don't have problems at all with it!!
Love to cool food from all of the world.. Italy, spain, mexican, can't see a problem :-)

08 Nov
I'm a vegetarian. And sometimes it's hard to find food to eat when I go out but I ask the person who is serving me how it is cooked.
Image_thumb
144 Posts
Aug 27, 2013 5:15am

Props to Jayou. I bought vegan soulfood guide to the galaxy on his recommendation. Great cookbook. Have made a few things and friends and family love it! Made potato salad tonight, and plant based eaters and our omnivore friends alike were asking for seconds and thirds. Will make a double batch next time!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51