How does one get a fat belly but stay underweight?

11 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
160 Posts
Aug 31, 2013 9:30pm
via iOS
I am underweight and have started to develop the cushiony stuff that later becomes a muffin top. I don't have a muffin top yet, but I am starting to have that disgusting look of a skinny girl in skinny jeans, with a thingy jumping out over my belt (it is getting to the point where that blob partially hides the top of the belt).

My healthy weight is twelve pounds above my current weight. The blob appeared about a year ago and has been building up so subtly that I had no idea it was there. My weight has not changed. I have been sitting on my bum for the past few years a lot, because of my job. I have been walking a lot, rapidly and over fairly long distances, just so I don't have to wait for the bus. I mean, I'd rather walk than just stand!

It seems to me that if I didn't gain weight, it is because I spend most of my calories. So, I am definitely not overeating (I rarely have more than 1800 calories, and until recently, I was closer to 1500). But the fat deposit suggests I am not eliminating all that I should, right? I mean, if I don't gain weight, that means I burn all my calories, but then, I shouldn't develop fat deposits either.

Could it be that it is simply my protein/carb/fat ratio that has changed during the same period when I was sitting on my bum? That for some reason I have been having more fat and less carbs?

This is a very frustrating situation for me as I realize I am part of a minority of people who need to burn fat without losing weight (I know protein is part of the solution). I am tired of looking to get healthy and only finding weight loss solutions in my search of healthy lifestyle changes. It's as though the new sense of the word "health" had become "weight loss"! It is ridiculous, just like all the 0 fat, 0 sugar products are ridiculous.

So, if anybody can help me understand my condition so I can create my own solution instead of following the crowd in the wrong direction, I would really appreciate it.
31 Aug
So it sounds like your metabolism has slowed way down and is not able to burn off these long-term fat deposits ( blob). Muscle weighs more than fat so it sounds like you are gaining fat while losing muscle mass. Your answer to this is doing weight bearing exercises, look it up. :-) -putting resistance on your body causes it to adapt. ( boosts metabolism and lean muscle)
31 Aug
Yes, that makes sense - I only used to go number two twice a week until recently, when I started changing my diet (keeping sugar in check and doing all I can to get more calories from carbs and less calories from fat). Now, I go number two about five days a week, which is great. But why would my metabolism slow down? Lack of physical activity?
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Aug 31, 2013 10:44pm
via iOS
So, would you say I should go ahead and do lots of cardio to burn fat even if I don't want to lose weight, and simultaneously boost my protein intake to make up for the lost weight and build muscle? I will need more calories anyway since I will be burning more of them...

OMG, are you telling me I should be body building? Me?!
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Sep 1, 2013 11:21pm
via Android

Haha, hold on.
I'm a 22 year old male, 6 "3 and 185. What are you?
Weight bearing can even mean walking so don't worry. I'm a pretty avid cyclist, so I'm not expecting you to exercise for hours on a bike.
Cardio trains the heart and practically deletes calories. A higher intensity workout, weight lifting, biking/ running fast etc. Will build a little more muscle which will constantly burn extra calories (blob).
TBH, I never count calories and I haven't changed more than +/- 5 lbs in the last 4 years.
Look forward to your reply and what's your activity level?
Do you do any current exercises?

02 Sep
I'm 36, female, 5'7", 120 lb. I ultimately need to gain weight, not lose weight. But I am not exactly going to gain weight if I burn calories... That's why I thought about body building.
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Sep 1, 2013 11:24pm
via Android

The # of times you go a week has more to do with your fiber intake and diet, but a boosted metabolism will process food quicker as well.

Image_thumb
274 Posts
Sep 1, 2013 11:28pm
via Android

Try changing your diet. See a doctor and find out if you have any allergic reactions to a type of food. Some allergens cause bloating

02 Sep
Physical exercise helps excretion, and I haven't been having much of that lately. Does that make sense?
02 Sep
Eating healthy promotes excretion. Fiber helps you keep regular, along with drinking plenty of water. Do those things and you will be pooping in no time.
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Sep 2, 2013 12:19am
via iOS
Okay, so most of the time, I am sitting on my bum. I do run to catch the bus, and despite being in a bad shape, I can run fast. I walk to places a lot, and I walk fast. I think with all the walking around, I do a good hour of cardio per week at least. Other than that, I have been doing casual workouts, about half an hour per day on average.

I am taking it slow for now because I have shoulder, neck and lower back problems (probably from lack of exercise and bad posture; I have trouble even tilting my head to the right). So, I am focusing on stretching and pumping blood for now, basically getting fit enough and flexible enough to take it to the next level without hurting myself or rebounding. It is actually fun, I love stretching and I love the lively cardio too. I am starting to feel a bit more supple...

So, if I have fat to eliminate but no weight to lose, then this is about BMI, right? I need to grow some muscle, right?

I wasn't going to do weights or anything, it would be waaaay premature and I think my small frame doesn't really fit the bill, but I do like floor bridges, the easier planks and all that, which is bodyweight stuff. I don't want to jog for now, I want to see a physiotherapist about my spine first. I can't swim either... 

The number of going times is weird. I have a LOT of fiber, I am a pasta and fancy crusty bread fan, and I have rice a lot too. I have checked and I haven't been storing calories, sometimes I even have less calories than I spend. So how could the fat build up? Is there something I am not getting?

If I want to eventually put some weight on all the while reducing my body fat, then I need a bodybuilding like regimen, right?
02 Sep
Hi I've been following ur conversation n it sounds good but mr walker needs to be convinced of what he's doing wrong first. I'm lynette a woman yes! Used to be aerobic instructor and have been an athletic person all my life which is more than you all combined. Not bragging just want to help. Walker you are under weight n need to gain more n ir order to increase metabolism you need increase meals meaning eat small meals 5x a day. Eating too much carbs not good. It turns into fat any unused portion in ur body n stored...
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Sep 2, 2013 12:32am
via Android

Ya, lifting weights would be great. I just thought you would be turned off by the term as most girls are.
It won't make you bulky either, lighter weights with reps in the 15 to 20 range per set should get you to your goal. Try 30 minutes twice a week for 2 months and gauge your progress for results. :) Hope I helped. Any other questions?

Image_thumb
160 Posts
Sep 2, 2013 1:06am
via iOS
No, it doesn't turn me off. It isn't just a way to get huge, depends on the weights, the duration and frequency of workouts and what muscles you target. Too bad people always get the wrong idea. Now that you mention it, my partner might freak out (he doesn't work out, he just works, and that is mostly enough for his body, lucky him). 

Bodyweight exercise is kind of like weight training anyway, except that with weights, you can control the number of pounds, which you can't with bodyweight. And in my case, lifting the bodyweight is not a very difficult thing to do. 

Do you think I should incorporate some weights now or is it better to get a little more fit before going there? Or is there a middle ground, like using cans of soup for some of my cardio moves?

What about protein? Should I have a whole lot of that, or just have more eggs and chicken and stuff (that will be super easy)? I would prefer not to use supplements as I am not training for Miss Olympus, but is it possible to get sufficient protein for light bodybuilding from diet alone without going crazy?
02 Sep
Hi again! I see y ou need guidance. First you need eat balance meals n moderate portions more times a day combined wit ghost exercise. Have you heard of insanity! It's exercise n building body mass meaning muscles without weights! But you have to push your limit in order to increase ur metabolism, body mass, resistance and strength. They go together. Work cardio for minimum of 15 min. Stretch, do abdominals everday . 15 min a day makes a difference. Look online for abdominal exercise n u will see different ones u can do without exhaustion. This is life changing...
Image_thumb
274 Posts
Sep 2, 2013 2:42pm
via Android

I agree on what Lynette is saying...to a certain extent. First off, your body needs carbs. If you increase your activity in life, you need more fuel. Second, you need resistance training with weights paired with cardio. However, if you want to burn more calories, save your cardio for after your weight training. After you lift weights, do about 10 to 15 minutes of high intensity aerobic activity. Run on a treadmill, do a row machine, it doesn't matter. Get that heart rate up. There is a metabolic afterburner effect your body engages in after your cardio is done. The body burns tons of calories for hours trying to bring your body temperature back to normal. You will be burning more calories sitting back at home watching TV than you were at the gym. Pair with resistance training for fat consuming lean body mass

Oct 24, 2013 7:55am

I have same problem, I tried everything, I burned myself on the treadmill, crash diet, weight lifting..etc. nothing worked, untill I started low carb diet (atkins diet), in a matter of month I saw significant difference. My body started consuming my own fat to generate energy, I get dizzy sometimes due to lack of sugar but this is th only thing that worked for me and I am sticking to it. Would it be the same for  you? I hope you find out and let me know.

cheers

Image_thumb
954 Posts
Oct 25, 2013 10:42am
via Android

I wouldn't consider pasta and bread the kind of fiber you need. I think its too starchy, sticky. Brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oats, roughage like lettuce and raw veggies, and some fruits like pears have lots of cleansing fiber.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51