Pre workout meal question

5 posts | Original | Recent
7 Posts
Sep 24, 2013 1:42am
via Android

Is pancakes with syrup a good preworkout meal to eat a couple hours before working out? I understand syrup carries lots of carbohydrates...but is about 2 hours enough time for my body to digest it?

12 Posts
Sep 24, 2013 11:31am
via Android

Oatmeal is the best breakfast or pre workout meal....

21 Posts
Sep 24, 2013 12:16pm
via Android

If you can get buck wheat pancakes they are lighter and are gluten free, which maybe better than oatmeal. And they taste good.

513 Posts
Sep 24, 2013 12:31pm
via Android

Without the sirup it is

950 Posts
Sep 24, 2013 12:34pm
via Android

Hehe technically I guess syrup has carbohydrates but really what we're talking about is SUGAR. Sugar does all kinds of crazy things to your body. The energy is quickly accessible but also quickly depleted, leaving you with a sugar crash and craving for more. That is why athletes will eat complex carbs (grains) which offer a more steady stream of energy, and from what I know they do it like the night before.

Honestly I don't truly know but I THINK the energy from syrup sugar would be processed within that 2 hours.  I still think it's not a good idea to load up on sugar like that as any kind of fitness plan. To me that's like drinking a Coke before a workout. I eat pancakes every now and then but I know full well I'm not eating em for my health.

As an alternative, fresh fruit has fruit sugar for quick energy.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51