Protein Shake as meal replacement?

9 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
7 Posts
Oct 3, 2013 7:32am
via iOS
I've read a lot of different responses about protein shakes. Is it a good idea to have one as meal replacement ( ex. breakfast )
03 Oct
Sure, you can drink one in the morning, but don't look at it as a meal replacement. Your body needs other stuff than just protein. A shake is just a supplement, you should only drink it 1.5 hrs before your workout or up to 40 mins after your workout for it to be effective. You could see it as a meal replacement if you eat small portions throughout the day. If you only eat 3 times a day, a protein shake won't suffize as a meal, however, if you eat 6-8 times a day (smaller portions) then yes, you could...
03 Oct
Thank you!!^^
Image_thumb
512 Posts
Oct 3, 2013 3:32pm
via Android

I think you shouldn't do that. You need carbs in every meal and before working out!

Fullsizeoutput_9c0_thumb
667 Posts
Oct 3, 2013 6:51pm
via iOS
Make sure your protein shake has a decent amount of carbs and fats... I don't suggest it as a meal replacement.. If your meal doesn't have enough protein then you can replace the protein with the shake. Don't replace the entire meal with protein the protein shake
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Oct 4, 2013 4:26am
via Android

Image_thumb
77 Posts
Oct 4, 2013 5:10am
via Android

Yes

Me_thumb
13 Posts
Oct 4, 2013 11:11pm
via Android

Depending on what you would otherwise be eating for breakfast it could be more beneficial. If you are eating waffles with tons if butter and syrup a protein shake would be a better bet if you are eating a High protein high fiber meal you will get more out of eating real food. The stuff from protein shakes is highly processed which means you would be getting more out of it if you were eating it closer to its natural form.

Image_thumb
274 Posts
Oct 5, 2013 4:31pm
via Android

Shakes as a meal replacement is ok in small, infrequent doses. Your body processes nutrients from natural sources better than artificial sources. Only drink shakes as a replacement if you absolutely have to, or on a time constraint

Icon_missing_thumb
30 Posts
Oct 6, 2013 3:35am
via Android

Lol that's the only way it's really effective... I either have a protein shake for breakfast or dinner as a replacement but I recommend adding things to it to make it more heavy either fruits, eggs, nuts etc. And trust me it works, but don't do it if you just need protein and are k or overweight ( I still need to lose 20 pounds)

Image_thumb
10 Posts
Nov 21, 2013 3:54pm
via iOS
I think protein shakes are fine. It's a great way to reduce caloric intake and still get nutrients. Just be careful of what kind of shake. You want to keep an eye out for the sugar and see  which one gives you more nutrients! I get spiru-tein from Mother Earth

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51