Atkins Diet?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Img_86617439083254_thumb
3 Posts
Oct 7, 2013 9:33pm
via Android

Anyone on here try the Atkins Diet? Any success?

08 Oct
Thank you John! A friend of mine is currently on the Atkins Diet and is on her 2nd week and has already lost 21 lbs. Not really into high fad diets, but she seems to be liking it. Of course her goal is to lose 70, so maybe its a good choice to get started. Quick weight loss is great, but probably not the most effective or healthy. I do lots of cardio, as it's my favorite type of exercise..only thing I don't like is that I lose in the places I don't want to! You are right, everyones body...
Securedownload_5_thumb
33 Posts
Oct 7, 2013 10:59pm
via iOS
I know someone who has and she dropped a lot of weight and several inches off her waist
Image_thumb
139 Posts
Oct 7, 2013 11:16pm
via iOS
What's that?
Image_thumb
11 Posts
Oct 8, 2013 1:28am
via iOS
My dad did it last year and lost a lot of weight :)
08 Oct
Awesome for him! Has he been able to keep it off? Is he still following the food plan on the accepted food list even after the diet?
Image_thumb
953 Posts
Oct 8, 2013 1:31am
via Android

I recommend reading up on it, I just read some of the wikipedia page, mostly "controversy" and "misconceptions" and it was interesting / informative.

Especially informative was the study that compared a few different diets and found no significant difference between diets with similar CALORIC INTAKE

I read an article recently that basically said, in a study of ppl on a low carb diet, cognitive function decreased, and increased again when carbs were re-introduced.

I've been counting calories while eating a balanced healthy diet and seeing results. It's cheaper than Atkins, I use myfitnesspal, a free app, to track calories I eat and burn.

08 Oct
Patrick I have been researching it and have also read the same things that you mentioned. Since it is considered a low-carb diet, energy levels would also be low, as John mentioned. I love cardio and do it as often as I can, so I need the energy and the carbs. My friend who is currently doing the Atkins Diet is relying mainly on the diet alone, mixed in with a little bit of exercise. I am not too fond of quick weight loss diets. It should be a lifestlye change, not a quick fix. I was just seeing other...
27 Oct
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Oct 26, 2013 1:12pm
via iOS
Carbohydrates are a necessary macronutrient needed to facilitate many of your bodily processes. It pains me to hear about people trying "low carb" diets because at some point, the person will gain the weight back because it is such an unsustainable task. What you must realize is that the Atkins Diet is a business who in turn sells product to make a profit. 

That being said, instead focus on small changes. Prepare a plan. How many times do you want to workout? Is it reasonable for a new exerciser? Is it something that you enjoy? THAT IS KEY. Do something that you enjoy!!! As far as diet, there are plenty of calorie counters to help you calculate this. However I encourage you to not go to a strict 1200 calorie diet. Something like 1400 (of course this number may differ for you based on weight, height, and body fat percentage) calories would be more reasonable and sustainable.  Also, do you have social support? 

Many of these factors assist in the success rate of your behavior change. I will leave you with one last thought: realize that changes do not come over night. That being said, refocus your goals not to weight-loss, but small weekly goals. (Hit my calories consistently or workout at least 2-3x a week in the beginning.) 

There are more resources online that you should look at, but here's just a little bit to get you started.

Good luck!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51